Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying Caravan

I guess the Catalina converted into a Flying Playboy Mansion Yacht is well known:
Flying Yacht

Last Edited by Clipperstorch at 02 Jan 19:32
EDQH, Germany

skydriller wrote:

The thing with these types of idea for me is this: when you have the kind of money to buy and run an aeroplane big enough to be able to live in, then you would surely have the money to be able to just fly yourself to any location and then pay to get to a hotel or whatever somewhere nice away from the airport…

This may well work in Europe, but in the Western US there often is very little / no ground infrastructure. The idea (at least mine) is not to live in the airplane, but to be able to visit some of the amazingly beautiful wilderness areas and spend a few days in relative comfort. Hence also my idea of a PC12. Can go backcountry, but also provides a great means of transport from city to city. Unfortunately in this regard I have champagne taste – and a beer budget….

skydriller wrote:

The thing with these types of idea for me is this: when you have the kind of money to buy and run an aeroplane big enough to be able to live in, then you would surely have the money to be able to just fly yourself to any location and then pay to get to a hotel or whatever somewhere nice away from the airport…

…the exception to this is wilderness flying which is bushplane/seaplane or helicopter. But then wouldnt you want to camp?

Yes, that is precisely the point that this flying caravan idea is for a specific use case of “off-piste” locations. If I wanted to fly around Australia for example, there are a raft of non-urban (a broad term to cover outback, bush, rural, farm, etc) locations where this would work. But if flying into Sydney (e.g. Bankstown, the city’s main GA airport), then you’re going to go to a hotel. It does raise the issue that you’re going to need permission of the air{strip, field, port} to remain on site and camp out in your plane: going to challenging I can imagine.

EGL*, United Kingdom
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message