Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Emir wrote:

OK let’s cool it, everyone. Get back to some aviation related talk. Check the ad hoc meetups thread, and join the telegram group for it, so you don’t miss out.

Great advice! I’m leaving this thread for good; whatever happens to Covid or because of Covid, I’ll read somewhere else.

I’ll not leave for good, but I’ll no longer check in for my “daily fix” :-o

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

I don’t think this discussion is a real problem. It has been mostly civilised, and this virus has dramatically affected all our lives, including the ability to go places.

I just wish some of the 9331 posts were on GA topics There is so much interesting stuff we could have discussed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Graham wrote:

It actually give a significantly higher rate of positive cases per 100,000 persons (1,731.3 vs 772.9) for vaccinated people vs unvaccinated. This is the same for most other age groups of interest and it is only below age 30 that the unvaccinated see proportionately more cases than the vaccinated. I wonder why that is? Genuinely no idea.

My best guess would be – without knowing the UK rules in these weeks – that some kind of “3G rules” (edit:just realized this is a German only term. Means that if you are not vaccinated you need to present a negative test result to be admitted to some activities like visiting events,etc) have been in place at these weeks.
And if I had another guess I would also think that some kind of routine testing had been in place in schools during the time of the report in UK.

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 11 Nov 06:30
Germany

Peter wrote:

I just wish some of the 9331 posts were on GA topics There is so much interesting stuff we could have discussed.

Ok, I’ll bite. Flight training in my club reached a record height in 2020. (At least a record for the last decade or two.) Spending time together in a light aircraft cockpit should be a sure recipe for spreading diseases. Yet no instructor (and, to the best of my knowledge, no students) got Covid-19 – at least not bad enough to test for it. As I’m the club president, I’m sure I would have been told if it had happened. In retrospect, this is a bit puzzling. The instructors were typically around 40 years old. Student were of all ages.

(PS. If you think this was reckless. We felt that it was up to the instructors and students to decide for themselves what risks they wanted to take and that in any case it would not affect the general spread of the disease.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 11 Nov 08:14
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

In retrospect, this is a bit puzzling

One must not forget, that in Sweden “only” about 12% of the population had been infected so far – so it is actually not that unlikely that you have been in the “88% bubble” which is not (yet) affected, especially as …

Airborne_Again wrote:

Spending time together in a light aircraft cockpit should be a sure recipe for spreading diseases.

… I would not agree to this. While a GA cockpit is a bit narrow and the two persons do not keep 1.5m distance, it is also quite well ventilated and especially in training the air is exchanged completely at least once an hour. I would expect that a restaurant where people spend more time in a much less ventilated place, a class room or a club/bar are much better breeding places for spreading Covid.

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

One must not forget, that in Sweden “only” about 12% of the population had been infected so far

That seems much too low, but you’re right – that’s what the statistics say. But this is only the number of people who have tested positive. I would guess there are may more people who got a very mild form and didn’t bother to get tested.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Malibuflyer wrote:

My best guess would be – without knowing the UK rules in these weeks – that some kind of “3G rules” (edit:just realized this is a German only term. Means that if you are not vaccinated you need to present a negative test result to be admitted to some activities like visiting events,etc) have been in place at these weeks.
And if I had another guess I would also think that some kind of routine testing had been in place in schools during the time of the report in UK.

Probably right on both counts. The 20-30 group are probably doing more things where you need to show a negative test even if vaccinated (though it’s really only international travel), and certainly the schoolkids are subject to some sort of routine testing programme.

EGLM & EGTN

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

I think this is the main takeaway from this whole debacle. It is hard to regain trust once it’s lost.

Yea absolutely.

Then again people should be mature enough to know what is vital for their own safety. It is totally crazy that people throw away the only protection they have against this plague just because they want to rebell against the evil government.

Maybe some folks will rethink now that they see that all countries where vaccination rates are below the pale are now experiencing the next human disaster, totally predicted, totally logical to happen and all because those populations were poisoned with misinformation, distrust and a national psychosis against anything their incapable governments recommend or implement. Many people have lost all sense of reality here.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Malibuflyer wrote:

People do not vaccinate because they don’t care at all about others – it’s no form of resistance it is just a form of selfishness and/or stupidity.

Some may well miss out because of egoism, but there is a LOT of people by now who honestly think their refusals to vaccinate, protect themselves and undermine the effort to control this disease is a genuine act of defiance against an evil government who is out to take away their “rights” whatever they are.

That makes it much more dangerous. You can argue with an egoist, you can get them to comply with Bratwürste or other “incentives” (which imho is a totally wrong approach as it rewards egoism and stupidity), but you can hardly argue with “reborn” revolutionaries. They WILL resist, they will rather die than submit. And take quite a lot of others with them.

I recall footage from Romanian and Bulgarian hospitals, where people under oxygen were asked if they are sorry they did not take the vaccines when there was time, most of them were defiant and stated they’d rather die. Quite a few got their wish, but they took a lot of innocent lifes with them.

At this stage, only a strict policy of lockdown for anyone who is not vaccinated or recovered can make a difference. Otherwise the 4th wave will be the worst human disaster in this plague yet.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

Spending time together in a light aircraft cockpit should be a sure recipe for spreading diseases

I thought about this one during one instruction flight. But then dismissed the thought because it was on the Cub, and well, it’s not particularly airtight :-)

ENVA, Norway
Sign in to add your message