Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Malibuflyer wrote:

Given the typical ration between tourists and locals on these islands in summer, the biggest risk (even w/o this vaccination) is still that tourists infect each other.

Why should the Greeks mind about that? ;-)

EGLM & EGTN

Yes yes but which vaccine will be the right and correct vaccine? Not all are created equal. Some are better than others!! 95% or 85%, the Chinese or the Russian or the American which will it be? Who will have the best vaccine on the market? Is my vaccine better than your vaccine debate going to be happening at the border or even the grocery lines? So much uncertainty, so much angst. Will we get govt subsidized Prozac after all this?

Last Edited by C210_Flyer at 10 Mar 13:35
KHTO, LHTL

Graham wrote:

Why should the Greeks mind about that?

Because it is great for them if their own population doesn’t get infected but what they want in addition is that tourists come to these islands – and if tourists come will be subject to the regulations in the home countries of these tourists: Only very few people will book a week on an Greek island if after coming back they have to stay 2 weeks in isolation…

C210_Flyer wrote:

Yes yes but which vaccine will be the right and correct vaccine?

Every vaccine which is currently available in Europe is good enough. A theoretic difference between 85% and 95% efficacy does not have any practical implication. The problem is, that these 85%, 95%, etc. is a number that the press (and even more the internet amplifiers) is happily distributing because they need something to scandalize!
The (all but) fun fact about that is that even physicians which are not specialized in immunological research will be able to explain you for these 85% what they actually mean in terms of “85% what of what”.

C210_Flyer wrote:

Some are better than others!!

So no! For all practical reasons they are not!

Germany

In today’s papers: Greece is to offer 3 options for entry

• vaccination certificate
  • test certificate
  • proof of having antibodies

commencing middle of May. The last one is interesting because the millions of people who got the virus but for whatever reason have not been vaccinated will be able to travel.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s a little more interesting than that!

I’m trying to figure out why someone would have an easier time getting proof of having antibodies than getting a test certificate?

Surely the first two items are sufficient.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Proof of antibodies will be valid for longer. A test will only be valid on the day.

Last Edited by kwlf at 10 Mar 18:47

Eli Lilly’s work continues to pay off. Apparently approved in Europe as well as the US?

I’ve become increasingly convinced that many governments have seen CV as a way to undemocratically reestablish permanent border controls under a new pretext, regain power over people now fixed in their countries, forcibly restructure economies to reduce energy consumption in their national interest and so on. If drugs support a dramatic reduction in serious illness and death for those who get sick, and multiple vaccines satiate the market to prevent it in the first place, the horrible restrictions on normal life in many areas of the world will no longer be justifiable regardless of what some in national governments may want. This may not play out as they’d hope as technology takes over. The rate of
technological progress being made is surely remarkable when compared with e.g. AIDS and I don’t think totalitarian tendencies are going to win out, although I think in Europe it may take some time to beat them back, years I’d guess.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Mar 04:04

@Silvaire there was a time when the great British public was secure in the true knowledge that ‘cock up trumps conspiracy’ :)

I always thought it an amusing historical/linguistic quirk that this common sense attribute might be upturned by the 45th President of the great USA.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Peter quoted:

Macedonia had the highest number of tourists visiting Greece in 2015 with 3,023,059 visitors

They must register everyone who crosses the border for a coffee as a tourist otherwise this does not add up. Macedonia has only 2 million inhabitants.

Last Edited by Clipperstorch at 11 Mar 07:23
EDQH, Germany

Silvaire wrote:

I’ve become increasingly convinced that many governments have seen CV as a way to undemocratically reestablish permanent border controls under a new pretext, regain power over people now fixed in their countries, forcibly restructure economies to reduce energy consumption in their national interest and so on.

As well as the disconcerting power-grab, one thing we’ve had (at least in Europe) is a sharp reminder that when the chips are down nations will act unilaterally in their own interests. That old adage that nations have no friends, only interests…..

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message