Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Peter wrote:

Just heard that the reason why there was a low takeup of the vaccine in a certain part of the UK was because people there misread “jab” as “job”…

We REALLY need a ‘like’ button !!

Peter wrote:

Just heard that the reason why there was a low takeup of the vaccine in a certain part of the UK was because people there misread “jab” as “job”…

Kent?

I would really like to understand where the production bottlenecks are.. but I suspect that everyone involved has been busy removing them for a few months now.

They can lurk in unexpected places, such as obtaining enough vials for the Pfizer vaccine which can withstand the cooling required…

Unfortunately some appear to be in the bureaucracy of “approvals” and “inspections”

Last Edited by Cobalt at 05 Mar 21:26
Biggin Hill

172driver wrote:

Already happening in the US. Merck agreed to manufacture the Pfizer vaccine.

That’s a good thing. Afaik Sanofi will produce the BioNTech vaccine now that their own efforts at developing one failed.

Cobalt wrote:

I would really like to understand where the production bottlenecks are.. but I suspect that everyone involved has been busy removing them for a few months now.

They can lurk in unexpected places, such as obtaining enough vials for the Pfizer vaccine which can withstand the cooling required…

Unfortunately some appear to be in the bureaucracy of “approvals” and “inspections”

Yes I also heard that about the vials. Ultimately though, “approvals, inspections and certifications” probably play a much bigger role. On the flipside, that may still be a good thing because too many profiteers were already abusing the pandemic by selling fake PPE etc., so people producing “fake vaccine” would be very damaging.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I understood Merck is starting production on the J&J one shot vaccine, after discussions with the other manufacturers.

The UK media have picked up on this story of a UK helicopter pilot flying 80nm “for a sandwich” during lockdown:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-lancashire-56278463

Police are investigating. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Last Edited by NicR at 07 Mar 08:38
EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

He broke no law. Well, no clear law. The law on leaving your house is non-exhaustive. Possibly he broke guidance, but there is DfT guidance on periodic flights being ok. I fly with a printout of that and with a printout of the Lyco SL 180B stating the minimum engine running requirements.

It’s just that somebody who hates rich people (in Europe, a large %) got a video of him and stuck it on instagram and obviously it went viral. He might get the £200 basic fine, which is what you get if the police don’t like what you did and you don’t want to take it to a court.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

He broke no law.

Indeed. Buying goods from a food retailer is a statutory “reasonable excuse” in Schedule 3A to the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (All Tiers) (England) Regulations 2020.

It is not (yet) for the Greater Manchester Police to tell people what food they may eat or from whom they may buy it.

Or is it? Have I missed an episode of Britain’s Sino-Orwellian nightmare?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

But presumably there must be some sort of ‘reasonableness’ limitation on that, at least in the eyes of a judge.

Otherwise someone on the south coast could drive all the way to the north coast simple to do their shopping in Tesco there.

Indeed, without limitation you could fly to South Africa to do your grocery shopping there (because they have better oranges???) and fly back again.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Actually thinking about it a little more, it probably comes down to a judge deciding if the pilot:

a) Fly there to buy a sandwich, or
b) Fly there for some other reason (eg to enjoy his hobby, or to visit a friend, or simply to leave his home) and happened to buy a sandwich while there.

Which which was the purpose of his journey?

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message