Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

MedEwok wrote:

It is unusual to have multidose vials for use in 5 different patients, normally we are strictly forbidden from giving different patients medicine from the same container for hygiene reasons.

It’s probably related to temperature and melting issues.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Snoopy wrote:

We’ll see. I believe the ex state owned airlines will be nationalized again and survive (at the cost of many more billions of taxpayer Euros) and the others will go bust. I hope this nightmare is soon over and things normalize again.

I think there are different aspects. A state also must think about the core transport infrastructure and ability, both domestic and international. SAS and Widerøe do that just fine. Widerøe being the largest airline in Europe for several weeks during the start of the pandemic. Norwegian and others have made a big deal of not being part of the “establishment”, but rather mass transport of tourists for as little cost as possible. There is also this new startup, Flyr. (how is that pronounced in English? ) which looks to be a “New Norwegian” focusing on Norway/Nordics.

Of these three (Norwegian, Wizz Air and Flyr), I think Norwegian perhaps has the largest chance, then Flyr and last Wizz Air. Even though Wizz Air is flying now, they simply cannot keep on cancelling flights without loosing all the profit and then some. Ryanair gave up several years ago. But then, Ryanair might take over Norwegian.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Absolutely @lesving
Why should the Norwegian government care about economic activity in Spain.

Governments are interested in their own backyard, the same goes for Austrian, fully owned by a german company, receiving hundreds of millions of local state aid currently. The government isn’t saving an airline per se, they are saving key infrastructure for the economy/location.

It’s still „interesting“ major players such as LH and others had healthy profits, where lobbying for „free market“ and to be left alone from overbearing regulations for the last decade. Nice dividends where paid out. You don’t hear any free market dribble now ;).

It’s macroeconomics, I get it.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Regarding the topic of Covid-19 and airlines, I wonder if Covid-19 only accelerates a trend that was about to happen anyways: a reduction in airline travel for ecological reasons (Flygskam) and reasons of cost (videoconferencing having made a lot of businesses travel redundant).

Yes, 5 years ago everyone thought that CAT was to grow massively and infinitely over the coming decades, but this prediction always suffered from the age-old error of simply extrapolating current trends, which never works for long. Or our cities would long since have drowned in manure, caused by an ever increasing number of horse-drawn carriages, as predicted by some people in the 18th/19th centuries…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

@MedEwok I think there is a basic human need to be face to face with other humans, go for a beer etc with them, plus a desire to see the world, especially when it can be done at someone else’s expense (biz travel).

What zoom etc have done is to make it much easier to work remotely, but they don’t replace travel, they just make things work better without it. In fact I’d say they make truly remote/tele work possible, to a much greater degree. But sooner or later people will want to get together.

My team these days is all in India. I visited twice before Covid. It’s now a year since I have been there and I REALLY miss sitting round a table with them. We do a weekly call, constant email, other stuff as needed. It works amazingly well. But it just isn’t the same. Same with my family – we actually talk a lot more now than we did pre Covid. But I can’t wait to go and see them in the UK.

LFMD, France

I agree. We really miss holidays abroad, the Greek islands, etc. Short haul will get back to previous levels, and probably with a surge as soon as things open up.

Long haul is harder to call, but one’s view depends on one’s perspective. I’ve done my life’s dose of 10-15hr flights and don’t want to do another one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I except that leisure travel by air will return to previous levels unless costs increase markedly (which they might well do) or – for short to medium distances – the railways get their act together on international cooperation and coordination.

Business travel is another matter altogether. Now that businesses find that online meetings work pretty well, the number of business trips will not return to previous levels

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Now that businesses find that online meetings work pretty well

Some do, some don’t. For example for hardware/software development it is much more productive to be in the same room when working on a project, bouncing ideas around, etc.

And a million times less lonely. Most people can’t stand being lonely. I think video meetings have a specific function, but it is just that: a function.

Also unless you have some sort of enforced authority / organisation, you get people turning off their webcams, disappearing, etc.

And most people are ok face to face (well, unless they are really smelly ) but quite a few look terrible on video. The pros get the lighting and the background all very well set up, but you need a dedicated room for it and somebody taking care of the kids, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Now that businesses find that online meetings work pretty well,

Novartis just instituted a two-week Zoom ban, so… stay tuned.

T28
Switzerland

MedEwok wrote:

but this prediction always suffered from the age-old error of simply extrapolating current trends

Yes, predicting stuff is very difficult, especially the future

Everyone should really watch the mini series Devs. It takes predictions to a whole new level with quantum computing, and why predictions don’t always work.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message