Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Finally getting my first shot today

That is astonishing.

How do you explain the beginning of the 4th wave coming in the most vaccinated countries ?

You can think of it as a common cold. Everybody gets it but almost nobody goes to hospital. That is practically the situation.

But it is still concentrated in the low-vacc parts of the country.

The mainland is likely to react to this though, with those less informed probably withdrawing the 2x vacc travel concession for Brits (Croatia, Spain, Greece mainly) so the time to get trips in is ASAP.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

1) When the vaccines will be certified by the normal process and the non-experimental product injected to people ?

How do you mean? The “western” vaccines certainly are certified by the normal process and are in no way experimental. Sputnik V took shortcuts. I don’t know about the Chinese vaccines.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 30 Jun 07:53
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Jujupilote why has it taken you so long to get your first vaccine? I thought you lived in France and here for, some weeks now you have been able in fact encouraged to get a vaccine from the age of 12years I believe.
The pompiers are even following the Tour de France in a vehicle which anyone can just pop into to get a vaccine. No reservation necessary.
The problem is not that we have a lot of anti – vaxers but the younger people are more apathetic to a vaccination and can’t be bothered to make and keep an appointment when there are better things to do. Especially as lockdown restrictions are eased and when the sun is shining.

France

Airborne_Again wrote:

The “western” vaccines certainly are certified by the normal process and are in no way experimental

That’s debatable. The only reason why AZ and J&J are “certified” is because the “benefits are larger than the side effects”. And we are not talking about personal benefits. It’s the benefits on “society” that are larger than the personal side effects on each individual, even though those side effects are death. Collateral damage in other words. In normal circumstances AZ and J&J would be pulled from the shelves everywhere.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Finally getting my first shot today, Pfizer. I hoped for a Vodka mix, but …

It does contain polyethylene glycol, which is actually added in order to increase the “bioavailability” of the lipid nanoparticles which are carrying the mRNA inside. It also unfortunately helps to disperse them into the bloodstream.

gallois wrote:

The pompiers are even following the Tour de France in a vehicle which anyone can just pop into to get a vaccine. No reservation necessary.

I just discussed this an hour ago and was told that in France, you have to get your second shot at the same vaccination site as the first one. Which complicates the process for providing “pop-up” vaccination sites e.g. in a shopping center. Did they relax this requirement somehow and create a centralized record-keeping for the vaccine administration now? Or are they administering the one-shot J&J vaccine in that vehicle?

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 30 Jun 08:48

In normal circumstances AZ and J&J would be pulled from the shelves everywhere.

No. The side effects are in the ppm range. These vaccines are incredibly safe – much safer than probably any other vaccine made previously.

the younger people are more apathetic to a vaccination and can’t be bothered to make and keep an appointment when there are better things to do

That isn’t helped by the artificially and stupidly imposed lack of privileges for the vaccinated. Here in the UK, a young person has little incentive to get vaccinated, because they don’t get any travel etc benefits. Well, they can travel to Spain etc but they still get the ~£300+ + 5 days quarantine upon returning (so almost nobody is travelling, due to the cost alone). Somebody I know has just come back, bought the tests for a 5 day release, and got a track/trace notification that somebody, probably on the return flight, tested positive, so the whole plane is sitting at home for 10 days! The whole quarantine business (whether post-travel or upon a track/trace notification) should be scrapped for those fully vacced, but the politicians are scared of the civil liberties / equality lobby.

We’ve even had Grant Shapps, who I would say is certainly not stupid, pumping out the drivel about “fairness”. Well, the whole world is not fair. Men have the hugely unfair advantage over women in that they can pee standing up. The young have the unfair advantage that they can run up hills, and aren’t old. The old have the unfair advantage that they get a free bus pass, and don’t need to give a sh*it about what somebody thinks of them, so they can wear socks with sandals. Etc

If this was implemented sensibly, the young would be queuing up for vaccinations. Maybe not so much in France because most holiday travel is within France, but in the UK they would be because for so many the pinnacle of social life is getting p1ssed on the beach (and then getting down to some business later) in Spain And letting the oldies get their holidays now would make great sense because what will happen is that when travel is opened to everyone at the same time, you won’t be able to book a flight anywhere. And there wll be no hotels – just like in much of the UK right now.

The “scientists” are of course mostly advising a total lockdown for ever, more or less

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The side effects are in the ppm range

And so is the chance of dying from Covid 19. In Norway 53 persons under 60 have died from Covid. That is 53 of 5.5M which is 9.6 PPM
Below 40 it is 6 persons, which is 1.1 PPM

AZ side effects (death) is in the order of at least 5 per 130k, which is 38 PPM for all ages.

For me, living in Norway, AZ is 38/9.6 = 4 times more dangerous than Covid 19. Simple statistics.

Actually it is worse than that. Counting from when AZ came, about February 1 or something (maybe later, but say February 1), only 27 persons under 60 have died, making AZ 8 times as lethal as Covid 19 – for me personally. Today, all the “high risk” groups (old age, 60+, and sick in some way) have been fully vaccinated, at least those that don’t refuse, so not even the “society” benefit exists. The last couple of months only 6 persons under 60 have died. The odds of me being one of those is as good as zero, being healthy and all (and finally got the first shot of Pfizer )

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I got my first shot yesterday, pfizer, since that’s the one used in Norway (well they are planning to use Moderna also but have not received much of it so far).
The organization of the vaccine center here in Trondheim was pretty good and effective.

ENVA, Norway

Peter wrote:

Well, the whole world is not fair

It’s not just about fairness: apparently Ireland is making it so only fully vaxxed people can go to sit down restaurants or pubs. Trouble is, most of the people who work in the pubs and restaurants are too young to have been offered a vaccine, resulting in the bizzare situation that a bartender can spend all day serving drinks, but then not have a pint after work in the bar they just spent all day in. This kind of breeds a bit of resentment.

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message