Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

In the news just now. Two more deaths due to “unexplainable” blood cloth by people taking the AZ vaccine. Out of 130k, perfectly healthy individuals below 50, 7 have now got this blood cloth thing. 3 are dead. The deaths are due to a combination of blood cloth, bleedings, and a low number of platelets.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

In the news just now. Two more deaths due to “unexplainable” blood cloth by people taking the AZ vaccine. Out of 130k, perfectly healthy individuals below 50, 7 have now got this blood cloth thing. 3 are dead. The deaths are due to a combination of blood cloth, bleedings, and a low number of platelets.

I know I said I’d stay out of this from now on, but is anyone looking at what might be different in Norway? Vaccination protocol, ER procedures, medical histories, syringes and equipment, etc?

3 dead from rare blood clots after 130k jabs in Norway….. and to my knowledge none dead in this manner in the UK from ~15 million jabs?

If the Norwegian numbers were representative the UK should have had ~350 deaths of this sort.

EGLM & EGTN

Vitamin D deficiency is more common in Scandinavia, which makes blood stickier. Some genes predisposing to thrombosis are known to be more common in Scandinavia… Iceland at least is genetically fairly homogenous compared with us mongrel nations further South. So perhaps Scandinavia has the bad luck to have a relatively common genotype that is leading to this problem.

But still, if you had an effect of that size in the UK, some of the bigger emergency departments would have seen half a dozen cases each. I also find myself thinking of the doctor in Miami who died of a clotting disorder after the Pfizer vaccine. Are we seeing similar reactions in all the vaccines (all the current ones cause spike protein to be made) or just the ones based on an Adenovirus? Is there any way that susceptible people might be identified in advance as people with a history of allergies to cosmetics are excluded from having the Pfizer vaccine?

We have had one death in the UK.

Norway is very unusual in Europe. We have done this many times.

• small population (low density)
  • lots of free space (low density, correlates heavily with infection, everywhere in the world)
  • high levels of weath ((correlates heavily with infection, everywhere in the world, due to lots of options e.g. avoidance of public transport)
  • few or no poor communities (high density / multi generational occupancy / heavy use of public transport)
  • few or no ethnic / religious groups (many of these simply do not believe the virus exists / it is a govt plot to damage them)
  • a good science education system
  • a high level of political cohesion (politicians elsewhere see a crisis as an opportunity for personal advancement, especially where it creates inequalities)
  • not much tourism

I do a lot of business with Norway and the customers there are a breath of fresh air compared to many other countries in Europe.

This US study local copy has just come out. AZ Phase 3 trial in the US. 79% protection from symptomatic illness, 100% prevention of hospitalisation/death, no blood clots in 32000 people. BBC report.

The UK has vacced record numbers over the weekend and is likely to pay a heavy price for it.

Also now much less acceptance of AZ on the mainland.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Graham wrote:

I know I said I’d stay out of this from now on, but is anyone looking at what might be different in Norway? Vaccination protocol, ER procedures, medical histories, syringes and equipment, etc?

Who knows, but about 650k have had Pfeizer/Moderna. Nothing like this kind of trouble there, even though they are mostly old and/or sick people. Maybe it was a “bad batch”, not that it improves the situation, but I mean, there are bad apples and oranges too.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think when we are dealing with such tiny numbers and an unusual event, it is inevitably very difficult to pin it down as well, even IF there is some connection.

Borris is now indicating that the explosion on the Continent will come to the UK’s shores. With borders closed it will be interesting to see if this comes to pass, although obvioulsy there is real concern it will.

As I suggested earlier, mutation aside, how much of a concern it will prove if everyone over 50 is pretty much vaccinated will also be interesting.

The wave presently spooling up in mainland Europe is indeed a problem for the UK.

Our govt is going to find it hard to close the borders. People want to go on holiday and travel on business.

There is something to be said for keeping the summer holiday spend in the country – our hospitality industry certainly needs it.

Regardless of whst happens with vaccine passports I’m probably just going to take a week or two splurging cash in some rural and pretty part of the UK. The Alps and the Greek Islands will get my money next year.

EGLM & EGTN

The pretty extreme measure here has been criticised for removing any incentive from young people to get vaccinated, because if they cannot get “something back” (which is basically going to be a holiday abroad, since the UK is not exactly a domestic holiday paradise once the few obvious places have been booked out, and you look at the wx) what is the point? As they see it, they “will never get ill” with CV19 themselves.

But it’s way too early to tell. My take is that there is a lot of pressure behind vaccine passports and travel corridors.

The proposed law is here.

The Americans are approaching this the right way

I can think of lots of places over in Europe where this would work quite well

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The pretty extreme measure here has been criticised for removing any incentive from young people to get vaccinated, because if they cannot get “something back”

It is a very sad (but probably accurate) description of society if they really need an incentive to do something that is extremely unlikely to hurt themselfes but saves the lives of others.

Germany

I think you forget that that is exactly what everyone under the age of 50 has been doing for the last year. The majority has been sacrificing for a minority. This is something that isnt being widely talked about outside of social media.

Sign in to add your message