Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

How can you maintain social distancing without destroying normal social behaviour (pubs, bars, trains, buses, people meeting up at home and elsewhere)?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

How can you maintain social distancing without destroying normal social behaviour (pubs, bars, trains, buses, people meeting up at home and elsewhere)?

I think masks will be common, handshakes less common etc. In parts of Europe I would be surprised if kissing as a greeting continues as well.

Last Edited by JasonC at 18 Apr 17:34
EGTK Oxford

It seems to me in terms of their weakness, Covid-19, SARS and MERS are very similiar. I think we may develop, and may already have, anti-virals that will become more effective to the point at which it will be possible to manage the disease in the vast majority of patients, in an equivalent way to AIDS, but without the need for such long term treatment. It would seem (thank goodness) this group of viruses may be realtively stable, so drugs could be very effective, unlike the common cold and seasonal flu.

Just a guess. Maybe a prelude to a fully functioning vaccine, if this proveds challenging.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 18 Apr 20:33

I think masks will be common, handshakes less common etc. In parts of Europe I would be surprised if kissing as a greeting continues as well.

Some surveys in the UK have found that most older people are pretty scared of this virus, so all the time it is still around few will want to go to places where they might catch it. And once it has died out, few will bother with masks etc, and “social kissing” will continue as it always did in the more southern societies.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

The solution for the city is the bicycle.

I think the solution for most commuting is now coming clear: Homeoffice. Personally I see no reasons anymore to have large office spaces, meeting rooms and all that, seeing how easy Homeoffice makes things. Beancounters will be orgasmic once the full potential of saving money is exploited, alone rents of office spaces make up large budget chunks. Most industrial plants e.t.c. are not in city centers anyway, there the commute will still be a problem, but personally one will have to hold a gun to my head to get me into a bus or train anytime soon. Airplanes will anyway not be available for passenger transport in the forseeable future, but same thing. If anything, then individual transport.

Bicycles have the distinct problem that they, as jogging and other sports, are massively unhygienic in the sense that people who ride them will exhale more droplets than people who walk normally. Also they are quite dangerous and produce nasty accidents quite easily. They were quite popular in Communist China however and still are I suppose.

Personally I expect a huge move out of cities by those who can do Homeoffice. Cities will loose a lot of attractiveness without cultural events, restaurants and so on which will likely be massively restricted for years to come. Personal distancing will become the new normal and cities are really not made for it. I am glad not to live anywhere downtown and frankly have not missed going to Zurich city at all. It’s also quite amazing how much money self isolation saves…. shopping once a week and as quick as possible to be out of the danger zone again helps a lot to avoid buying unnecessary things. I think that is not something I’ll change in a hurry again.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

that normal behaviour is dead anyhow. People will be happy to be able to stay away from places where people can not escape each other. I wonder if this will also have effects on the flu epidemics every year, if people stop going out and mixing with others we should see a massive reduction in flu cases.

I’ve heard people muse about homeschooling as well, as they don’t want to expose their kids to virulent environments of schools. Personally I find this a problem, as kids crave the presence of other kids to interact and play… what kind of generation will we breed if we lock up our kids at home….

Peter wrote:

And once it has died out, few will bother with masks etc, and “social kissing” will continue as it always did in the more southern societies.

First of all, it won’t die out totally and frankly I hope that if there is anything permanent out of this then it may as well be that invading personal space will be a thing of the past. I don’t mind at all that handshaking has been banned for now and the “social kissing” is imho something which never was a good idea in the first place and quite revolting most of the time… that kind of stuff may well stop for good.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 18 Apr 21:29
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

kwlf wrote:

It’s a velomobile called an Alleweder A4. The black bit in the cockpit is a headrest. I have made it but not painted it. Waiting for the right weather.

Alleweder A4, cool. Googled it and found this:

The Alleweder is an HPV (human powered vehicle) or Velomobile specially optimized for everyday use. It was designed by Bart Verhees and is supposed to be the most built velomobile in the world, with more than 500 sold units

Is that the same Bart Verhees as in Verhees delta ?

Has any of them been built with battery bicycle power ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I think it would be a shame if the handshaking and social kissing were to be a casualty of this virus. It is part of the fabric of France and the French and unlike Mooney Driver I both like it and feel that it is very important here.
However if is going to cost lives, I’m sure we can find a replacement as long as its not those awful high and low fives. Or the perfunctory nod from distance.

France

Is that the same Bart Verhees as in Verhees delta ?

Has any of them been built with battery bicycle power ?

Yes and yes.

EDQH, Germany

gallois wrote:

I think it would be a shame if the handshaking and social kissing were to be a casualty of this virus. It is part of the fabric of France and the French and unlike Mooney Driver I both like it and feel that it is very important here.

It took a very long time for me to get used to it when I came here, and now it feels really odd to not be doing it on the occasional time you see friends now.

Last Edited by skydriller at 19 Apr 08:33
Sign in to add your message