Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Cobalt wrote:

However, here is the flip-side of the current measures – for the US

And in addition the US Federal government is handing out $1250 per person, to most people, regardless of their employment status. I won’t be getting any of that, worked too hard last year, and I keep working now to help pay for it via income taxes.

Re bicycles, they are great for the ‘fanatics’ like my father who used to spend 10 hours per week riding to and from work. But not everybody has the interest or ability to do it.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Apr 13:56

You don’t have to be a fanatic to ride a bike for utility – that’s a big myth (any more than you have to be a car fanatic to spend 10 hours stuck in a car in traffic jams when car commuting). Look at cities like Amsterdam. In many cities, cycling to work is as quick as driving (due to congestion and the time spent finding a parking space), so there’s literally no opportunity cost and huge benefits to doing so. Even in my case (I have a rural commute) I effectively get a 2 for 1 deal on exercise. To remain healthy you have to do enough exercise to start with, and on a bike at least you get exercise as a side effect of transport.

Bikes are good for health, good for your wallet, good for your fellow citizens (who are not subjected to your pollution), and reduce load on health care systems. You can also fit some bikes in aeroplanes, so you don’t have to worry much about ground transportation if you fly somewhere.

Last Edited by alioth at 18 Apr 14:09
Andreas IOM

Have fun with that, I’m enjoying gasoline at half price

The biggest accident my dad ever had was on his bicycle, and after that he realized that riding to work was not quite as conducive to his health as he’d thought. He does now though ascribe his health at over 90 years old to daily exercise in his 50s and 60s, so the risk paid off for him and he’s still able to see his doctor for expensive check-ups regularly

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Apr 15:48

Even if petrol were free, I wouldn’t drive any more.

Andreas IOM

I suspect a cabin filter is more effective at reducing ones exposure to picking up the ccp virus than inhaling a lot of air on a bike. It may be a tiny risk difference, but stacking people up in a city forcing them all on bikes rather than cars I suspect would only be a bit better than pushing everyone on a bus or tube train.

What do people think about future govt policy and what will change?

I think a lot of things will change. This will turn out to be an awesomely expensive exercise – on the scale of a sizeable war. No country will want this again.

• stockpiling of test kits and PPE
  • testing of all arrivals at airports (IR scans)
  • rapid reaction shut downs of travel, especially air travel
  • upon any outbreak, quarantine of arrivals, with no notice, hopefully in their homes rather than in “facilities”
  • airlines will have to clean cabins between flights
  • Huawei kit will get chucked out and none of it will be bought again
  • some Chinese manufacture will get moved to other “cheap” countries
  • semi official embargo on China / threats thereof, unless they agree to external monitoring
  • changes in travel patterns to avoid sardine transport methods
  • some people may wear masks when out and about in big dirty cities like London
  • more automatic doors in cafes etc (no handles to touch)
  • mandatory tracking phone app
  • taxes will go up to pay for the gigantic cost

One can see who will do well out of this. Automatic door suppliers for a start.

Re cycling, there are now many studies showing that 2m spacing is just about ok for walkers (so long as they are not coughing) but runners or cyclists need at least 10m.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Another reason why bikes are vastly better in cities:

Higher the pollution, higher the Covid-19 death rate.

Last Edited by DavidJ at 18 Apr 14:53

Peter wrote:

What do people think about future govt policy and what will change?

Very little I am afraid, a lot of the good things we imagine to be good won’t happen when the damage to livelihoods and the debt are factored in. Many of the better things we are able to are a direct consequence of wealth…

I think the attack on civil liberties, will have huge consequences if it continues in this manner. So far IMHO governments have had it easy.

Working from home for example will stop very quickly for some, because they won’t have a job to do.

Of course we all know, that next time around there will be a million reasons why this time is different

Ted
United Kingdom

One thing that will have changed is that lots of people will have been locked up for a few months with no work to do. I think there will be a big economic hit, but I hope we will also see some interesting ideas brought to life.

And when the lockdown ends lots more people are going to come on mountain biking holidays in mid-Wales. At least, that’s what I keep telling my forelorn bicycle selling neighbour.

Last Edited by kwlf at 18 Apr 16:33

kwlf wrote:

One thing that will have changed is that lots of people will have been locked up for a few months with no work to do. I think there will be a big economic hit, but I hope we will also see some interesting ideas brought to life.

And when the lockdown ends lots more people are going to come on mountain biking holidays in mid-Wales. At least, that’s what I keep telling my forelorn bicycle selling neighbour.

I agree. While I am certain the overall economic hit will be severe, there will be a bit of a bounce when things are lifted. People will be keen to go and spend and leave the house. Those businesses that still exist should see some decent trading.

Many aspects of social distancing may well be permanent.

Last Edited by JasonC at 18 Apr 16:53
EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message