Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

I contacted my airfield manager (pretty new I believe, I didn’t recognise the name) after he put out an e-mail saying the airfield will remain closed and no out of hours flying.

I asked for details as to what the risks are that require stopping all flying. given that I’m happy to take responsibility for take off and landing myself (as is normal in out of hours operation) and the CAA guidance and Lycoming service letters say maintenance flights are OK. I received the classic non answer, dance around, middle management failure speak.
This line from them seemed to sum it up to me.
“Please trust that I want to see aircraft flying as soon as possible but as an Airport Operator, “health and safety” will always be my main priority and concern.”

They seem to fall back to a default fence to hide behind when they can’t reason their position. I’ve pointed out that I can go flying without any interaction with a single other person, I need about 100m to take off and land, and I’m happy to accept any risk in operating with no one about.

I very much doubt I’ll get an answer with a good reason why it’s not safe to do so. But if I do get a reply I’m pretty sure it will be how much he values health and safety.

Peter_G wrote:

I’m intrigued as to what those of us, this side of the pond, who need a FAA.BFR in the next month or so (which includes myself) should actually do – if anything.

You could try using the WINGS pilot proficiency program in lieu of a flight review if you’ve completed a suitable flight activity in the recent 12 month, eg a Part-FCL proficiency check. See relevant contributions to this forum under my username with key word “wings” (link).

London, United Kingdom

Dammit… I remembered this 3am this morning and then went back to sleep again

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Following the French PM speech, and according to the FFA website, recreational flying should resume in France on May 11.

LFOU, France

@Jujupilote, that’s splendid news.

Do you know whether or under which circumstances GA arrivals from Scotland/UK may be allowed?

We’ve made the best of the recent spell of nice weather up here, but now it’s raining and I need to get down to see some folks in Haute Savoie soon…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Off_Field wrote:

I very much doubt I’ll get an answer with a good reason why it’s not safe to do so. But if I do get a reply I’m pretty sure it will be how much he values health and safety.

He cannot realistically impound your aeroplane. He can close the airfield, but in practical terms he has to let you remove it if you want to. Of course that may mean you are never welcome back…

EGLM & EGTN

From May 11, we will be allowed to move around within 100km from where we live, for any reason. To leave these 100km, you will need a paper and a reason just like today.
The DGAC should issue a document this week giving their interpretation of this rule.
They could forbid all A-to-B flights for example. It would be hard to enforce but we now know that they won’t take any risk for their job and our liberties are the last of their concern.
The next phase of ‘liberation’ is planned for June 2.

LFOU, France

He cannot realistically impound your aeroplane. He can close the airfield, but in practical terms he has to let you remove it if you want to. Of course that may mean you are never welcome back…

There is this. I am not aware of anybody testing it legally and, sure, you would get kicked off the airport whether you win or lose.

Sometimes an airport parks vehicles on the runway to stop people removing their aircraft.

They could forbid all A-to-B flights for example.

What I don’t get is that all of Europe, France included, is full of bizjet flights. I am sure they are not all repatriating French citizens, or carrying PPE In France, are the operators “purchasing” some permission, or just have a “good contact” somewhere?

Also, is overflight of France prohibited? I can’t see that it is. I could fly, certainly IFR, UK to Croatia for example, crossing all the usual countries as normal. Currently one cannot leave airside in certain countries. The UK has been allowing it but I heard something about this stopping soon (there will be a quarantine for airline arrivals).

I saw this FFA announcement.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What I don’t get is that all of Europe, France included, is full of bizjet flights. I am sure they are not all repatriating French citizens, or carrying PPE

The DGAC banned sports & leisure flying, there is no mentions of A-to-B ban?
I guess on the same excuses as taking Eurotunnel by car, no?

UK to France, restriction
- NO HOLIDAYS OR SOCIAL VISITS
- Going home to a main residence
- Essential work in France (need paper proof)
- Medical staff

France to UK, advice
- Has to be “essential”

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I am already getting called by friends from Germany/Bavaria if they may come to stay with me for a couple of days to fly in Austria since we will be allowed to do so starting from friday.

I should start an Inn, but then again that would have to stay closed anyways

Last Edited by ASW22 at 29 Apr 19:43
Austria
Sign in to add your message