Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 virus - airport and flying restrictions, and licensing / medical issues

Just read here that all TOTAL Avgas pumps are locked in France.
Only JetA is still distributed.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 15 Apr 10:14
LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

Just read that all TOTAL Avgas pumps are locked in France.
Only JetA is still distributed.

Where, if I may ask? And Im trying to fathom how this helps anything…

link added above

LFOU, France

That’s really nasty.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That may actually backfire with aeroclubs in the aftermath of this, because it makes no sense to do this as any kind of precaution.

And Im trying to fathom how this helps anything…

Although I would suspect that this is being done for the benefit of TOTAL, rather than GA, in that it saves replenishment when there is no demand.
It might, though, slightly be to the benefit of GA in the medium term: Avgas has, I believe, quite a short ‘shelf life’ (28 days?); it’s quite laborious to empty tanks of ‘stale’ fuel to avoid contamination of fresh.
[Incidentally, a hospital in the South West has reported that last week a high number of Covid 19 patients had contracted it from petrol fuel pump nozzles.]

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

Incidentally, a hospital in the South West has reported that last week a high number of Covid 19 patients had contracted it from petrol fuel pump nozzles.

Curious how they would know where someone infected themselves?

Regarding pumps, I’ve had the issue with BP automats that they shut off at midnight automatically, and have to be unlocked in the morning by someone after having taken a fuel sample and confirming that it was OK in the system. Don’t know how TOTAL handle this procedure. But if they need someone to travel to the airfield each day, this may be deemed “unessential” for 100LL…

I don’t see how a JET-A1 nozzle would be ok while a 100LL nozzle would be infectious.

Otherwise, getting the virus (or any other infection) from a fuel pump nozzle is a no-brainer. I use disposable gloves for that. It’s like a supermarket trolley.

100LL keeps very well if not open to air.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It might, though, slightly be to the benefit of GA in the medium term: Avgas has, I believe, quite a short ‘shelf life’ (28 days?); it’s quite laborious to empty tanks of ‘stale’ fuel to avoid contamination of fresh.

Does this mean we should empty any fuel from our aircraft tanks if we don’t fly for more than 28days?

Egnm, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

Avgas has, I believe, quite a short ‘shelf life’ (28 days?)

This is not true at all.

Ordinary garage forecourt petrol does not have a long shelf life, but AvGas does.

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message