Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS question - replacing a Trimble 2000

In the above case my preference would be a used Garmin GNC-250XL. I think that has a nicer UI than the KLN94 and does all you need for VFR

Peter_Paul:

In my mind there is one question I’d like answered before recommending anything to you.

Do you already have an 8.33 COM radio available?

If NOT, then I fully agree with flyer and boscomantico, a 430(W) is the best solution for you because it will kill two birds with one stone.In a very short time from now, 8.33 is obligatory and therefore you’d have to upgrade your com radios as well.

But there is one more thing you should consider, which also favours a Garmin GNS set. Your autopilot is capable of GPSS Steering. So it would be a crying shame if you installed a set which does not support that, as this really is a feature you should use. Basically, what GPSS does is that once you enter a flight plan into the GPS, you can then have the AP follow that flight plan without any other input. I have this feature, exactly the combination 430W and S-Tec 55X and it works really well.

I also agree with flyer59 in another aspect: If you can get a 430W for not too much more money than a normal 430, it is a much better set and it is fully and for the forseeable future supported by Garmin. Also, sooner or later ADS-B will be an issue, and if you have a Transponder which supports this, like the Trigg TT31 or some others, you will need a WAAS Set to couple them.

You can also get a 430 and have it upgraded eventually, but probably in the end you end up cheaper with a 430W. The same of course goes for a 530/530W if you have the space for one then it is an even nicer set than the 430 simply for the bigger map and some additional features.

I would not recommend going for old boxes like a KLN90 or something like this, they are cheap, yes, but installation work and all that is almost the same than for a 430 and the return is not very much more than what you have with your trimble now. I’d as well be careful with older 430/530 units on e-bay: Some of those are no longer supported by Garmin! Before you buy something like that, absolutely make sure with the serial number with either Garmin directly or with your avionic shop that they are NOT one of those. This does not apply to the W boxes.

So for what you were asking for, a good box which has connectivity to your AP and can make the most out of it in the used market, the GNS sets will do you the best service and at the same time provide 8.33 khz spacing, GPSS Steering to your AP and possibly ADS-B soucre for your transponder.

I would talk to some reputable avionic shops about this. First of all, they often have second hand GNS’s around, now that a lot of people upgrade to the GTN series, secondly, if you get a set from there, they know exactly what series can still be repaired with Garmin (some original 430’s and 530’s can’t) and can offer you a packet price for the unit and installation. Maybe our resident avionic expert Jesse can give you a hint or two about that or has something for you right out of the box.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Flyer59 wrote:

In the above case my preference would be a used Garmin GNC-250XL. I think that has a nicer UI than the KLN94 and does all you need for VFR

You are no longer allowed to install 25 kHz equipment, unless it is replacing the same P/N. So this suggestion is no good for topic starter.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Jesse wrote:

You are no longer allowed to install 25 kHz equipment

Ah interesting. Someone asked me recently whether you could still replace a KX170 with a 175B… so probably not then.

There is another thing to consider: you mentioned that you primarily use Skydemon for your navigation (which is fine). Hence, if you wanted to couple the AP in the future, you would always have to load a route into both the ipad and the panel-mount unit (or select a new DCT at each waypoint if you don’t use flightplans). Therefore, consider if that is really such a workload reliever vs. manually re-adjusting your heading bug occasionally. The latter makes sure you stay awake and doesn’t cost you anything. In summary: analize your current workflow-methods and think about what it would really be like with a future piece of equipment.

P.S. STEC55 does normally not have GPSS.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Dec 13:40
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Mooney_Driver wrote:

First of all, they often have second hand GNS’s around, now that a lot of people upgrade to the GTN series, secondly, if you get a set from there, they know exactly what series can still be repaired with Garmin (some original 430’s and 530’s can’t)

Second hand GNS stay quite populair, and pricing quite high. A second hand unit often comes without paperwork, which is something to keep in mind. A rack and antenna are also items to keep in mind, as these might add up quite an amount if not delivered as well. The older 28Volt only units, are no longer supported. The WAAS upgrade pricing for 2016 will increase. For most installations a GTN makes more sense then a used GNS, especially for those who fly IFR.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

But there is one more thing you should consider, which also favours a Garmin GNS set. Your autopilot is capable of GPSS Steering. So it would be a crying shame if you installed a set which does not support that, as this really is a feature you should use. Basically, what GPSS does is that once you enter a flight plan into the GPS, you can then have the AP follow that flight plan without any other input. I have this feature, exactly the combination 430W and S-Tec 55X and it works really well.

Agree on that this is a very nice feature, and the topic starter has a nice autopilot kit. Though many VFR pilot’s don’t see the need for GPSS. I don’t think they will have a need for it. Once you get used to it it becomes a desireable feature.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

That’s why i asked. Isn’t the 55X GPSS? Press NAV twice?

Another great write-up, Mooney_Driver, thank you.

I just want to ask a follow-up question – in order to use the GNS (or any other similar device) for VFR flight (navigation or to drive an AP) current data is NOT mandatory, correct? Current data (costing a good several hundred EUR per year) is only needed to legally use it for IFR flights?

How about any required additional equipment checks / validations?

Last Edited by tmo at 12 Dec 13:50
tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Thanks Jesse for the clarification.

His plane is 28 volts so he might just about see one of those older units. I am not sure, can those be upgraded to WAAS actually which would make them supported again? Mine was not such a unit so the question never arose.

I agree, the GTN boxes are better value for money, yet they are still quite a lot more expensive. With the ones Flyer was talking about the WAAS units can go as low as 5-6k at times, which I think is great. But if you have the choice between a 2500$ legacy GPS and a 4-5k$ 430, I think even the original 430/530 as long as it’s not one of the non supported ones would be a better choice.

Jesse wrote:

Though many VFR pilot’s don’t see the need for GPSS. I don’t think they will have a need for it. Once you get used to it it becomes a desireable feature.

Many VFR pilots don’t know what that is. I use it all the time since I have it. We even have all the arrival/departure VFR routes in ZRH and some other places set up and it is really neat to use.

boscomantico wrote:

P.S. STEC55 does normally not have GPSS.

Right, yes, it would have to be the “55X” otherwise you’d need a GPSS converter. I wonder, does the Sandel have that function? The Aspen has it.

Flyer59 wrote:

That’s why i asked. Isn’t the 55X GPSS? Press NAV twice?

Correct.

Boscomantico is quite right, the original 55 can’t do GPSS directly but requires either a converter or an Aspen EFD to do it, like all the older legacy AP’s.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 12 Dec 14:10

tmo wrote:

Another great write-up, Mooney_Driver, thank you.

Thanks.

tmo wrote:

in order to use the GNS (or any other similar device) for VFR flight (navigation or to drive an AP) current data is NOT mandatory, correct?

Most people who fly VFR update their data once or twice a year, mostly in April when the large airspace changes are over. It is not that expensive however for a normal 430W, I don’t have the invoice handy but I think mine was around 380€ per year.

tmo wrote:

How about any required additional equipment checks / validations?

Jesse can give you more information for that, I’d think that it would be normal do do an equipment check after installation. Thereafter, the normal VFR maintenance.

Sign in to add your message