Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS question - replacing a Trimble 2000

Flyer59 why are you recommending a W box and LPV approaches to a VFR pilot?

Yes, that’s what I recommend. First because with the other good avionics he has he would maybe regret soon not having that capability. Also I see no problem for a VFR pilot to learn these procedures. That does not imply he should a) do illegal flights or b) fly in IMC without beeing able to do so. But it’s a good to have, especially when the price difference is not big.

i dont even know what a LPV approch is
my point is that if i have a 50k aircraft i dont want to spend 10plus grand on a avionic update that is more a goodie/or nice to have part
i rather spend this money on flying
i need to keep my flying within a budget otherwise I will be grounded

fly2000

If you really on a budget, you might have a look at Skyforce GPS, or old Bendix/King KMD units. These have quite big screen area and are GPS only. Some or possible all of them can also drive an autopilot.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

The Skymap 2 or 3C don’t have autopilot outputs.

The KMD150 might but I can’t look at the manual where I am now.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, the installation manual for KMD 150 says it can drive an analog autopilot.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

@Peter_Paul

of course, i understand, in that case you should go for a more simple unit, but whichever you chose, buy something that can drive the A/P.
Can you send me a PM with the exact avionics you have? I can ask the engineer of my avionics shop and see what used equipment he has!

You can also load flight plans direct from Navbox into the KMD150, via RS232.

Really old stuff but for many years was the only panel mount certified GPS which could be thus externally loaded. It looks like a certification oversight

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Flyer59 wrote:

but whichever you chose, buy something that can drive the A/P

Good advice, when you take into account the original question:

Peter_Paul wrote:

I would like to replace this with a bit more modern GPS that i also can couple to my STEC 55 AP

Peter_Paul wrote:

i dont even know what a LPV approach is

I’ve been wondering too. Low Precision Visual, perhaps. ;)

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

LMGTFY: Localizer performance with vertical guidance ;-)
An interesting case of a TLA used for what I’d consider a four word abbreviation… I’d be less surprised if it was LVG ;-)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
Sign in to add your message