Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

German Company Set to Take Over Operations of 14 Greek Airports

Instead of having bids out from Signiture, Millionaire or some other FBO to operate the GA portion like they do in the states

It doesn’t work here because you get two well known handlers do a nice deal under the table and both charge you €700 to land there. I am not mentioning any names but we all know who does the job at well known “big” UK H24 airports which are now totally lost to GA

Why are there no bankers in Jail for the fraud they perpetrated?

Probably because the jails aren’t big enough

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is a sad day for GA in Greece when the Greeks made the deal with the Germans. Why because I look at BP airport. It is run by a consortium from Germany. How did they get there? Graft and corruption from prior adminsistrations which had syphined off money for a decade by both Govt and privately run airport authority. Now dont get me wrong they have done a good job. However they also dont give a sh*t about GA even with basically 2 airports rolled into one and with 40% capacity of operations. So my plane would cost me 400 Euros to land there. Im not even sure about the handling charges.

Instead of having bids out from Signiture, Millionaire or some other FBO to operate the GA portion like they do in the states its controlled by one company who could not be bothered with GA because there is not enough profit in it. Once again it is an airport that has a plane arriving every 10 mins during the crunch. Once again remember its really 2 airports in one. The older one can be used for GA right now its used for cargo ops.

So I can see GA at Corfu disappearing due to extravagant fees. Of course this whole discussion might be a mute point with the new slot system in place,

I want to know one thing. Why are there no bankers in Jail for the fraud they perpetrated?

KHTO, LHTL

172driver wrote:

I think one of the problems facing GA airports anywhere in Europe is the requirement of AFIS or ATC

I don’t think that is a requirement unless there is at least scheduled passenger traffic with larger aircraft or something.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

What requirement is that?!

I think one of the problems facing GA airports anywhere in Europe is the requirement of AFIS or ATC. There are thousands of non-towered airports in the US, many with CAT and they operate perfectly well, day in, day out. If you only have a handful of movements / day, then take away the unnecessary staff and your operating costs plummet. But I guess every Greek airport ‘employs’ about 50 people sitting in the local taverna….

LeSving wrote:

Today 2 airports are remotely controlled, one helicopter base and one airport, as a research project.

Sweden has one remote tower in normal (non-research) operation and another one to be added very soon.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

A ferry from Paros to Santorini takes about 8 hours…

Yes, and there are lots of places like that in Europe (except central Europe as per definition ). A few years back Avinor had plans of closing several airports. Today all these plans are gone and replaced with plans for Remotely Towers. Today 2 airports are remotely controlled, one helicopter base and one airport, as a research project. From 2017, 15 AFIS airports will be remotely controlled. Certainly a solution also for Greece.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I just remembered a posting on COPA about a couple buying an airport in the US: http://www.phillipsburgairport.com

In late 2013 after Mr. Miller had a stroke and could no longer continue operations of the airport it was sold to Danny and Jaime Steel-Potter who continue to operate the airport. In July 2015 after a 2 year legal battle with a Ken Brown of Brown and Sons Nursery who tried to shut down the airport a judge ruled in the airports favor and the AIRPORT WILL remain open.

They call it a full service airport with aviation related offerings.

I don’t know anything else but find it interesting to share.

Frequent travels around Europe

Yes but those places are extremely rare in Central Europe. Very few GA airports are widely accepted by the community

But, Greece isn’t central Europe.

A ferry from Paros to Santorini takes about 8 hours…

I think an airport on Sitia, Paros, Kithira, Kalymnos, Leros, Ikaria, etc is extremely well accepted by the community.

It would be tragic if Greece got shafted into shutting those down. Especially as there is absolutely zero prospect of the 300BN+ debt ever being even partly repaid at the end of it all.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

As I said, many places the local community cannot exist without the airport.

Yes but those places are extremely rare in Central Europe. Very few GA airports are widely accepted by the community. In Germany I guess EDMS Straubing would be one of them because it has managed to attracted very successful companies and has a lot of high paid jobs. I don’t know any other GA airport like that. The German islands to some degree, they’re probably the best equivalent we have to remote and disconnected places in Scandinavia.

Last Edited by achimha at 17 Aug 18:15
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message