Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Runways with a change of slope

This is again EGHE but another runway. I wonder if one can (or should) try to touch down on the first part?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The view of Nayland uphill, around 20% gradient. Nose draggers do land here, but a fair number of nosewheels have come to grief.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

On grass airstrips, anything with less than 30% upslope gradient seems ok to land while beyond 5% downslop looks interesting with excess of speed and nil wind

I never tried it on tarmacs, steep upslope ones tend to be in mountains or islands (e.g. courcheval), I guess upslope should be manageable with excess of speed to compensate for excess of flare and a mental prepartion on perspective but anything with downslop will be difficult to manage?

The rule of thumb, if you can see the downslope from 1000ft you probably should not land downhill and land upslope irrespective of the wind

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

This is Spilstead Farm (700m) in the south east UK. A memorable one for me, though (un)fortunately I wasn’t the one flying when we landed there.

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Peter wrote:

This is again EGHE but another runway. I wonder if one can (or should) try to touch down on the first part?

I did find this quite a bizarre experience when departing the other day. The slope at the threshold is really quite steep and so it takes a fair bit of power (and time) to get going. One wonders if it was entirely sane The undulations further along the runway only make it even more interesting. In terms of how to touch down, I think I made the mistake of touching down too early with an unexpected ‘thump’ when I landed on 14 – also with a threshold slope. So I assume the correct method should be to touch down only when flat, and/or do a go-around first to assess the conditions before committing?

jgmusic
North Weald, United Kingdom

Nice one, the DHC-6 is having fun while the PA28 looks like “unable to comply with taxi instructions”

mh wrote:

Ithwiesen is nice:

I think I just found my next destination!

EDLN/EDLF, Germany
Sign in to add your message