Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Most challenging grass strips and runways

What is the worst grass strip (or paved) you have ever landed on, and why? Where is it?

I sincerely hope this thread is not going to be negative, we should be grateful for the ones still left without putting them down

quatrelle wrote:

I sincerely hope this thread is not going to be negative, we should be grateful for the ones still left without putting them down

Indeed. I don’t feel like bad mouthing anyone.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Largely depends on how recently and how heavily it has rained, and for how long it has rained, and what the land drainage is like!

Egnm, United Kingdom

The average airstrip in Northern Ireland is totally different than say a farm strip in England. The locals are hardy and piece small fields in marginal places together and somehow make it all work. One of the ones that scared me the most was this one. 276m cut out of a 400m field, and the rest of it was in long grass. The strip sloped up to the back of the owner’s house making it one way in, one way out. I bravely volunteered to fly someone up there, then they showed up with a fat pax. When I got there there was a 12kt tailwind. Truly was a code brown moment.

This one here in the mountains in Northern Ireland that can be very tricky with strong wind. It is 366m long.

Some brilliant characters in these small airfields, I always enjoy that side of it.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

You are a braver man than I Gunga Din!

Egnm, United Kingdom

Maybe the admins can tweak the title to some more encompassing word like challenging/demanding/unfavourable etc…

[ done ]

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

The worst for me was probably Kostanz EDTZ. Very tall grass, bumpy runway, impossible to move the airplane by hand at the parking spot (C172), and loose gravel on the way to the refueling station.

Having said that, they probably have had better days with shorter grass. The staff was, however, very friendly and helpful. Would I go back? Probably not.

Last Edited by Dimme at 02 Feb 00:06
ESME, ESMS

It might depend on the airplane itself. With our Mooney I would be really cagey to land if an airfield has been noted to be bumpy. Then it feels strange to hear that about Konstanz, because I have landed there without issues and very often our plane is there. My homebase is a grass strip and I consider it normal that I would take out the plane … taxi and not pull it to the fuel pump.

And yes, I too am happy for every airfield—good, bad, grass, gravel. Maybe I can’t land my plane there but someone else could.

EDMB, Germany

The altiport at Nayland is a lovely spot, but it is always amusing to check out the odd nose dragger which has had its nose wheel unceremoniously depart on landing. Not sure what the gradient is, but as a cyclist am estimating 10 to 15%.

Barrier is also a beautiful air strip but the sheep can be a hazard!

Arguably picking the smooth bit on 03 at White Waltham in a Pitts is always exciting. 29 is also exciting especially into the setting sun, even the several thousand hours on type characters do some rodeo riding in this scenario.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message