Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The UK IMC rating / IMCR / IR(R) (merged)

The IMC Rating allows you to fly IFR in Class D,E,F,G in UK airspace.

It also allows you to fly instrument approaches, all the way down to the published minima, so long as the ATC reported visibility is 1800m or better. The 1800m applies to departures also.

So you certainly can go into cloud with it.

It also removes the requirement, imposed on UK issued PPLs, to be in sight of surface for VFR, and this is valid worldwide. It brings the UK PPL in line with most ICAO PPLs which don't have the surface-sight requirement. However the surface-sight requirement was anyway removed from UK issued JAR-FCL PPLs (not from UK issued non JAR-FCL PPLs) in April 2012.

I think it also has some improved figures for SVFR but I can't remember those

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The good news is that you are wrong about not being able to fly in cloud. The rule you have seen looks like the non IMC rated minima for a PPL outside controlled airspace. Below are some pictures of a flight I did from Panshanger to Welshpool in and above clouds (being careful about freezing levels at the time as I fly a PA28) but this was all safe, it was all outside controlled airspace, it was pretty easy compared to the hazy bumpy and congested GA/VFR traffic situation underneath, and it was all legal. IMCr also gives you improved SVFR minima's as Peter says, and is best demonstrated by looking at an example from the channel islands (2nd link), where they have separate 'boxes' for a PPL with IMCr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/piperarcher2273/sets/72157633175977885/

http://www.cicz.co.uk/special_vfr.php

Basically you can do anything with an IMC that you can with an IR except: Fly in Class A B or C airspace under IFR or in a visibility below cloud of less than 1800 metres. - Interesting when the VFR minima is now 1500 metres!

It also removes the requirement, imposed on UK issued PPLs, to be in sight of surface for VFR, and this is valid worldwide.

Sadly not true:

Schedule 7:Instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes) (1) Subject to paragraph (2), within the United Kingdom an instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes) entitles the holder of a United Kingdom Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes) to fly as pilot in command of an aeroplane without being subject to the restrictions contained in paragraph (2)(c) or (f) of the privileges of the United Kingdom Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes).

This was true for JAA licences however; those privileges have now been deleted from the ANO where there are no longer any privileges listed for the holder of a JAA licence with IMCR or an EASA licence with a IR(R)!

Interesting when the VFR minima is now 1500 metres!

A number of people have wondered about that one! Quite funny really...

This was true for JAA licences however; those privileges have now been deleted from the ANO where there are no longer any privileges listed for the holder of a JAA licence with IMCR or an EASA licence with a IR(R)!

Thanks for the correction. I have my original version in writing from the CAA, from a few years ago

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Johnj, I have no idea where you get this

"I can't fly in or anywhere near cloud, under any circumstances"

from, as it not a restriction placed on IMCR holders in this country.

The privileges of an IMC rating are: (ANO Schedule 7)

Instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes) (1) Subject to paragraph (2), within the United Kingdom an instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes) entitles the holder of a United Kingdom Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes) to fly as pilot in command of an aeroplane without being subject to the restrictions contained in paragraph (2)(c) or (f) of the privileges of the United Kingdom Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes). (2) The rating does not entitle the holder of the licence to fly: (a) on a special VFR flight in a control zone in a flight visibility of less than three km; or (b) when the aeroplane is taking off or landing at any place if the flight visibility below cloud is less than 1800 metres.

put simply, it exempts you from the restrictions in paragraph (2)(c) or (f) of a UK PPL

2(c) unless the licence includes an instrument rating (aeroplane) or an instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes), fly as pilot in command of such an aeroplane: (i) on a flight outside controlled airspace if the flight visibility is less than three km; (ii) on a special VFR flight in a control zone in a flight visibility of less than 10 km except on a route or in an aerodrome traffic zone notified for the purpose of this sub-paragraph; or (iii) out of sight of the surface;

2(f) unless the licence includes an instrument rating (aeroplane) or an instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes), fly as pilot in command or co-pilot of such an aeroplane flying in Class D or E airspace in circumstances which require compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules;

Piper Archer, careful with that CICZ link. It contains a lot of guff from the bad days when you needed a PPR slot to enter the Channel Islands Control Zone. Thankfully no longer the case.

EGLM & EGTN

Thanks Graham, yes I had noted a few outdated statements. I'm going to Guernsey on Thursday but have already forgotten most of what I did read ;-)

The IMC Rating allows you to fly IFR in Class D,E,F,G in UK airspace.

And Class B (not used in the UK) and C too, surely?

When Is The IMC Rating Useful?

Forget the rules forget everything.

1. It is usefull when you fly towards hight ground and DON'T want to go into the massive cloud ahead, start the 180 but then find yourself inside it, so the only option open to you is keep on turning while climbing.

2. It helps to build confidance (sfter a while) in your ability and...

3. ...as a result you will start to explore further away from home.

Ben

Sign in to add your message