Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Practicalities of using the UK IR(R) while leaving the UK FIR

Peter wrote:

I would descend through the cloud over the sea

You still need to be aware of wind farms in the middle of the sea. New ones are popping up everywhere around here.

ESME, ESMS

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

The reason for canceling was that we obviously didn’t want to fly the missed approach since we knew we’d be VFR below the clouds.

Why would you fly a missed approach if it was VMC below the clouds? Even if you are flying on a IFR flight plan.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme17-Oct-17 20:11 #12
LFHNflightstudent wrote:
The reason for canceling was that we obviously didn’t want to fly the missed approach since we knew we’d be VFR below the clouds.
Why would you fly a missed approach if it was VMC below the clouds? Even if you are flying on a IFR flight plan.

Because I wasn’t going to land at Ljubljana but continue to Bled.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Dimme wrote:

Why would you fly a missed approach if it was VMC below the clouds?

I have had more than one unpleasant surprise when it turned out not to be the announced VMC below the clouds and I was faced with the choice to either fly the missed approach and try elsewhere or land at the field where I did the cloud break.

EDDS - Stuttgart

You still need to be aware of wind farms in the middle of the sea

Indeed but the cloudbase would need to be how low for that to be an issue? I am not suggesting doing this in OVC007 unless you are sure there is nothing there

With only the UK IR(R) it is doubtful if (legally…) you can accept an IFR clearance outside the UK, even if only for cloud breaking.

Indeed, you definitely cannot.

The other thing to remember is that ATC in most of Europe will absolutely insist that a VFR flight reports at VRPs. Various threads on this previously. So you want to have a GPS which displays the official ones.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The other thing to remember is that ATC in most of Europe will absolutely insist that a VFR flight reports at VRPs. Various threads on this previously

I think you are overthinking this, Peter. You may be asked to use VRP s on approach to some airfields, but not otherwise. If you are not in view of the ground anyway, how can you possibly do a VFR approach?

If you are stuck on top, tell them, explain what abilities are (pilot and aircraft), and what you need. Remain calm on the radio and give the impression that you know what you are doing, unlike this guy:

Last Edited by Aviathor at 18 Oct 10:29
LFPT, LFPN
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message