Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

My engine failure followed by forced landing...

Good job.

lenthamen wrote:

Another trick is to pull the yoke after landing. The elevator will function as a spoiler…

Above all it puts weight on the main gear which has the brakes. This should be done with a lot of care though so you don’t start flying again.

ESMK, Sweden

achimha wrote:

I guess in VMC the survival rate should be close to 90% with a SEP capable of slow flight such as C182.

This particular 182 also has vortex generators so that helps I guess

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
This particular 182 also has vortex generators so that helps I guess

I wasn’t particular slow…
According to FR24 (which is accurate as this AC has ADS-B out) the GS on touchdown was 69kts. There was a 7kts tailwind.
I went back to measure the tire track, it was about 250 meters of hard breaking

Thank you Lenthamen, this is excellent learning material and glad to hear you are all well and happy.

strip near EGGW

Arne wrote:

This should be done with a lot of care though so you don’t start flying again.

If you raise the flaps AND pull back it should be OK. I first apply brakes before pulling. That creates a nose down moment which is compensated by up elevator.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 25 Aug 12:50
LFPT, LFPN

It would be really useful to find out what exactly happened in this case, because gaskets are not supposed to just come out and get ingested. For example in my air duct all relevant screws are wirelocked and the two gaskets in the air duct cannot go anywhere unless those screws come undone. The air filter itself can’t go anywhere too because it has a wire mesh (about 2cm pitch) behind it, so it would have to disintegrate into small pieces first. And there is no gasket on the alternate air door.

Very likely somebody out there reads EuroGA… close to 1500 “aviation people” read it every day.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

dirkdj wrote:

I think the OP did everything right in the circumstances.

Sure did IMO too. I think if you can get the airplane down without anyone being harmed, then you have done everything right. Not wrecking the aircraft is an added bonus that requires a very nice and flat field (depending on aircraft of course)

Peter wrote:

It would be really useful to find out what exactly happened in this case, because gaskets are not supposed to just come out and get ingested

Sounds to me more like someone has forgot something in there, misplaced or forgot to tighten or something.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It would be really useful to find out what exactly happened in this case, because gaskets are not supposed to just come out and get ingested

We might never know. The aircraft has been fixed yesterday early morning and flown out of the field.
So it must have been something which was easy to fix.

Caba wrote:

These kind of incidents will stay in your head for a long time, but don´t think about it too much.

I accept the real possibility of potentially crashing every time I get into an airplane.
For me it is safer to have 2 minutes to figure out what I’m going to do when something goes wrong, than 2 seconds after a drunk driver swerves into my lane… (had an collision very much like this one where the fault was 100% on the other driver).

Nature has been kind to me, so I’m ok with fighting the elements in a heavy glider…

Peter wrote:

It would be really useful to find out what exactly happened in this case, because gaskets are not supposed to just come out and get ingested.

On my 182, I noticed that the air filter was not tight and the gasket had already moved and was close to being ingested. It’s normally adhesive foam rubber between the air filter and the mount. The air filter is held in place by 4 camlocks. In my case I modified the camlocks by cutting two washers and sliding them in to get more tension on them.

I don’t think that this scenario is very unlikely. The shop owner I spoke about this told me about several cases he’s seen. Always good to check the whole induction that everything is tight. Another Lycoming induction flaw is the rubber hoses that are attached by ordinary hose clamps which tend to get loose. Checking them is part of the 50h check. Mine need regular tightening and over time, the clamp works its way through the rubber hose which needs replacement. If you lose one of them, you’ll park in the same field as Len.

Sign in to add your message