Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where in Europe can you land off airport?

Now there is only one division between public or restricted airports/airfields, and the only difference between both categories is that in restricted airfields commercial transport operations cannot be carried out. But it is still prohibited to land in any non-approved land. The difference now is that there is no limitation for general aviation to use what previously was called ULM fields, category that doesn’t exist anymore and now are included into the restricted airfields category.

In the other hand, there was and still there is, a restriction to ULM operations. But it is not related with type of airfield but to the airspace: ULMs cannot enter in controlled airspace. But this restriction is in process to be derogated in near future. Currently there is a draft of the new regulation that will eliminate this restriction.

Thanks Coolhand for this info. So what you are saying is that a C172 can now fly to any what used to be a private UL field?

As to the distinction between ‘restricted’ and ‘public’, i can add this: An aerodrome/airport can be public (allowing commercial ops) during parts of the day and be restricted during other hours. During restricted hours there is no ATC and thus no CAS, and possibly degraded fire cover. Good news for GA because opening hours at various airports/aerodromes have been expanded this way. For my field it means back to SR-SS as of March next year!

I believe exceptions of UL ops in CAS have always been there. I’ve seen UL’s at Ibiza airport. And recently a special procedure has been put in place to allow UL’s to fly to San Luis, a private field very close to Menorca airport, in their CTR. Two-way radio & transponder needed.

Look forward to read that new regulation and learn what it exactly says.

Last Edited by aart at 16 Dec 19:01
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Finland the same as Sweden. Generally speaking you can land with land owner’s permission.

And yes, there’s plenty of public owned land/lakes around.

Winter offers great fun opportunities for operating from frozen lakes. Plenty of them around, too.

To be honest, banning landing in the boonies somewhere sounds totally weird, ie. Spain and Germany. Well, bicycling off-road in the Netherlands requires a permit, too.

EFHF
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message