Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where in Europe can you land off airport?

Ever since I’ve been reading about and viewing some of those nice videos about Maule aircraft with tundra tires I’ve been wondering where in Europe you can legally land off airport. It doesn’t have to be on a beach or a river bank :-)

Once land is privately owned I assume you will at least need the owner’s permission. Do we have public land in Europe like the open range in the US where the land is owned by the federal government?

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 14 Dec 11:10
Frequent travels around Europe

Anywhere in the UK with landowner’s permission.

@Jacko is probably the person to ask :-)

Andreas IOM

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

Do we have public land in Europe like the open range in the US where the land is owned by the federal government?

We do in Sweden. But mainly in the mountains.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If it’s Germany, you’d probably need a Flugleiter as well!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom (except Scotland): we can land more or less anywhere above HWOST with landowner’s permission, and anywhere in the intertidal zone which belongs to the Crown.

Scotland: we can land more or less anywhere, subject to various exceptions in the Land Reform Scotland Act. The land access rights confirmed by this Act must be exercised “responsibly”, which might reasonably entail prior contact with the landowner or occupier and/or other users, so far as practicable. A box of Milk Tray and a bottle of vielles vignes from Bergères-les-Vertus may be added to the Maule MEL for use where prior contact has not been possible.

France: I believe that ULMs can use any private land with the owner’s permission but that other aircraft require prior notice to the Mairie. However, this is heresay, and I have not read the relevant statutes, if any. Not sure about public land.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Germany: Any off-airport operation of powered aircraft, and any operation outside the approved operating hours of the airport requires permission by the government of the German state (“Bundesland”). Commercial helicopter operators frequently get blanket permission for certain types of flight.

Biggin Hill

Czech Republic, with landowner permission.

LKHK, Czech Republic

France: I believe that ULMs can use any private land with the owner’s permission

Yes, provided it’s not in a built-up area

but that other aircraft require prior notice to the Mairie.

Unfortunately not.
Aeroplanes in France may not land anywhere else than an aerodrome. A private usage aerodrome can be easily created, it’s just basically a matter of declaration.

Rules for helicopters are different, I suppose they are more relaxed.
As usual I don’t seem to understand how to quote. A quotation starts with bq. but how does it end?

Paris, France

A quotation starts with bq. but how does it end?

Have a look at Posting Tips

You can enter it manually as

Requirements: the 1st line must have a space above it, or be at the top of the post. The last line must have a blank line after it. The bq must start at the start of a line. There must be a space after the bq.

So, the first blank line ends the quote.

One common problem is that the word “Quote” is presented, as a hint, in the dialog box which is used for the quote function, and when you start typing in there, the intention is to replace that word, but sometimes people click the mouse somewhere and un-highlight that word, so “Quote” then appears in the finished posting.

I’ve fixed your quote

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In Sweden: Anywhere with the landowner’s permission. In densely populated areas you additionally need permission from the police.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message