Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where in Europe can you land off airport?

Cobalt wrote:

Germany: Any off-airport operation of powered aircraft, and any operation outside the approved operating hours of the airport requires permission by the government of the German state (“Bundesland”). Commercial helicopter operators frequently get blanket permission for certain types of flight.

And, if I remember correctly, it is even a criminal offence…

EDM_, Germany

What about Spain? Anyone knows?

Frequent travels around Europe

@Jacko:

United Kingdom (except Scotland): we can land more or less anywhere above HWOST with landowner’s permission, and anywhere in the intertidal zone which belongs to the Crown.

So does that mean I can land anywhere in the interidal zone whenever I want, or only with permission of the Crown? If the latter, how do I get that permission?

Airborne_Again wrote:

We do in Sweden. But mainly in the mountains.

In Norway, all land that is not cultivated in some way or the other in broad terms, is public land (free for everyone). Woods, mountains, nature in general. It doesn’t matter if the land is owned by the government or is private. All of the water is also public, including the beach zone (if the land is not cultured).

As to landing there, that is not allowed. It is generally forbidden to use any kind of motorized vehicles in the nature (wood, mountain etc). The exception is all of the salt water, and larger lakes. If there is a road there, meant for cars, you can land. In general, you have to have permission from the owner to land on his fields or private roads.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

In Ireland anywhere with the land owners permission except built up areas.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

What about Spain? Anyone knows?

IIRC not allowed anywhere other than airfields.

Re Spain, we have had posts here saying that the various “mystery runways” in Spain are used by local pilots. See this post and subsequent ones. @coolhand should know more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AFAIK:

Private certified fixed-wing aircraft can only land on official state-owned airports or non state-owned official aerodromes. UL’s can land on designated official UL-fields, on non state-owned aerodromes. Some (smaller) state-owned airports allow UL’s, if they carry the right equipment.

Private rotary wing aircraft: see fixed wing. But they can also land off-airport with the landowner’s permission. However, the rules say that this also requires the permission of the local municipality and the Spanish CAA. The latter permits are hardly ever requested of course. I’ve always wondered what happens if this helicopter is damaged or causes damages. Fine? Insurance?

Seaplanes: there are a few in Spain. They are not allowed to land on water. Except in case of some organised event (we did that in Mallorca over the last several years).

Coolhand or others who know Spain please correct me if needed.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

ortac wrote:

So does that mean I can land anywhere in the interidal zone whenever I want, or only with permission of the Crown? If the latter, how do I get that permission?

In general we have land access rights on the foreshore, so no need to ask Elisabeth. It goes without saying that one should be very wary of sloping beaches, and try not to disturb any beach-bunnies, bird-watchers or anglers digging for lugworms…

Checking the surface before committing to land is allegedly a good idea, especially when flying a sub-optimal bushplane like a Pitts S1.

However, this is more complex than can be dealt with in an Internet forum. Landing where no other aeroplane has ever been is not an endeavour to be taken lightly, and it may warrant weeks of study and planning. I have opened dozens of ersatz landing sites but before landing anywhere “unusual” we have to read the “small print” in byelaws, SSSIs, and similar alphabet soup to stay one step ahead of the gestapo. For instance, the ever-popular Lake Ullswater aerodrome in Cumbria has a 1978 byelaw 10 mph speed limit for any “vessel” including any aircraft “designed to manoeuvre on water”. So we can land there with choppers on floats, or wash our bushwheels, but we would need a righteous headwind to land and take off with a C172 floatplane – unless taking part in rescue operations or securing the safety of persons…on the lake.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Seaplanes: there are a few in Spain. They are not allowed to land on water.

Priceless!

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message