Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random flying photos thread

Please state the location

We’ll see at LECD if he exists plane alone and show bunch of great photos taken during the trip.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

thanks for your interest guys… here some of the methods I use. Please remember that you are personally responsible for determining the suitability of those…

No assistant, on the contrary… the first thing is not to use the pussy device aka AP if so equipped. Reason, most if not all pictures are taken at some bank angle around 60°, usually with some sideslip (counter rudder) to keep the rate of turn and altitude under control. Why? Framing as in sideways and sky vs ground balance, and keeping those pesky wings out of the picture… yes, no wing in picture for me… some may differ, but if I wanna take a picture of the wing of the aircraft I’m flying, I will do so on the ground, and we will see that wing. If whilst flying I discover something worth taking a picture of, I wanna take a picture of that something, and not of my wing. Again, some people like to have part of a wing, strut, winglet, or whatever, to also be in the frame. One exception might be some formation flying shots when the subject is an aircraft.
Positioning is obviously important. This must give you a good framing, sometimes very close to a granite face in a confined space. Having a fixed zoom, as with the iPhone 12 mini I’m using, forces one to be quite precise, and somehow trained. As an example the 3 pictures above are untouched but for some light brightness/contrast, they have not been modified in the framing. So positioning the aircraft in one go for the framing of enough but not too much can be a lucky move, but the more practice the easier. One thing to remember, is to always remain aware of the obstacle ahead… I’ve take pictures in some narrow canyons or valley whilst turning, and still have to jump over the next ridge which might be 300m ahead, so not getting too absorbed is important too. Flying solo helps as I can manoeuvre at will and necessity, no screaming or well intended commenting from another seat
Natural horizon… also here great care is taken to align the iPhone grid lines with the real horizon. Correcting a picture afterwards is work, and the result will be cropped.
Multiple shots will obviously give me a selection to choose from. I usually take between 5-10 shots of one object.
Reflections are more than annoying, and I’m using a camera lens hood such as this one:

In a nutshell some good shots can be made by pure luck, but for most the eye must detect the opportunity first, maybe visualise the final product. Thinking about the positioning in regard to the framing then takes place, do I need to climb/descend, will I shoot thru the right/left window, etc. The camera is prepared for the shooting. The aircraft is positioned for the framing, trajectory corrections performed. The horizon is aligned, the framing done, the shots are taken. Assure safety at all times, obstacles, AOA, etc.
Once home import the pics in your favourite program (I’m using GraphicConverter for Mac) for sorting and eventual corrections.
Finally publish the good ones on EuroGA, but keep the very best for yourself, family, and best friends

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@Dan, that’s a lot of good technical info, thanks.

How long did it take to return to your base from Tre Cime? You mention a short flight, that seems a bit longer than short to me. 175 nm direct, so maybe 1.3 hrs to touchdown? Thanks again.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Sep 01:11

Sure, my pleasure

Now define short… any flight < 2 hours is kind of short… for me
But a pretty good estimate: took the picture South of the Cime 1h35‘41“ into the flight, and joined the entry circle hold (the usual motorglider loitering in the pattern…) at base some 2h47‘52“ into the flight = 1h12‘11“ at my usual leisurely settings, burning about 5.5USG/21LPH… total flight stats below.

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Excellent post, Dan. I especially like the bit with the rubber hood. But also it is your plane so your windows are still, ahem, relatively transparent

I shoot RAW (with any camera) and process it in Lightroom. In turn, RAWs are unenhanced so look a bit bland, so that needs to be corrected. Only selfies are JPG because my S10E will not save RAW with the front camera (a limitation which cripples most phones, it seems – they might have 3 cameras but only 1 can shoot RAW).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But a pretty good estimate: took the picture South of the Cime 1h35‘41“ into the flight, and joined the entry circle hold (the usual motorglider loitering in the pattern…) at base some 2h47‘52“ into the flight = 1h12‘11“ at my usual leisurely settings, burning about 5.5USG

A local friend does the same thing with his RV-8, 5.5 gph cruise from an O-360 at about the same speed. He uses an Ellison carb which in addition to working in any attitude also works pretty well for leaning.

Thread drift opens…
The Ellison would be a super device if it was not so finicky to setup properly. Also AFAIK not manufactured anymore, but for a replica made by Australian company Rotec.
Thread drift closes…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

The Ellison would be a super device if it was not so finicky to setup properly. Also AFAIK not manufactured anymore

Another friend is making parts including the fuel handling parts to tune them and also make them last forever.The local Bücker guys use them too, so he’s occupied at this hangar with his little CNC mill, making ‘jewelry’. Thread drift closed now

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Sep 22:52

A still from a passenger filming on the Sony A7 IV – somewhere west of Compton VOR back in Spring on an IFR from Kemble to Stapleford.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 04 Oct 20:17
Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Pics of the day… amazing the stuff one sees on a simple return flight from a pizza run to homebase…

Eremo di Santa Caterina del Sasso, on the Lago Maggiore

Acqui Terme (small doubt about the location here ) Piedmont region of northern Italy

The Isola Gallinara off the coast near Albenga

Some of the toys in Ventimiglia harbour, do you spot yours, anyone?

Il Monte Bianco, AFAIK still the tallest and biggest around…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message