Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random flying photos thread

Please state the location

higher levels

How high is this when you need a mask?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Thread drift alert

@Emir, I was still slightly below 18’000ft, at which one should switch from the cannula to the facemask, according the O2D2-2G manual.
But as I mentioned in some other thread of this distinguished EuroGA forum, I’m using the facemask only for the moment, in the hope it would give me some time should my e-scooter decide to emit bad fumes and melt its way out of my plane’s bottom… the cannula would probably be of no help at all in this dire scenario…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

This beauty was at Ostend yesterday, Belgian based aircraft and 1425HP, awesome

There is no requirement for a mask.

It is only in installed O2 systems, where you have an AFMS, that there is a legal weight behind this stuff, and the AFMS normally specs a mask above 18k. It’s all a bit meaningless however because you can get a plane with an installed system (e.g. TB21, almost any turbo SEP or MEP) and plug an O2D2 into the (~20psi) cannula outlet and use that to drive a cannula and it will deliver a good O2 level to FL220+. I carry the pricey MH microphone mask but I’ve flown to FL210 with just a cannula so have not used that mask in years.

A mask will not help with fumes because it still draws most of the input directly from the ambient air. It’s not a pressurised mask like you have in jets etc.

Some refs are here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Pic of the day… some mountains in Switzerland.
Ah, location? South of Piz Platta N462750/E0093315

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Where to be or not to be…
Here: not on the Ile d Yeu.

EDM_, Germany

Pic of the day… today’s sortie to Bad Ragaz LSZE. Quite comfy in an RV (regardless of flaps position), but requires some attention if flying a hotter ship as the runway is 495m long, and 11m wide, has castle ruins and a hotel/restaurant in the approach/departure path on one side, and a tree and power line on the other side. Can also be quite challenging in Föhn conditions, obviously not the case today

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Pics of the day… loose 2 RV ship formation… we decided to promote an easy digestion of the Locarno LSZL pizza, and flew due East, to make a reconnaissance of an eventual EuroGA fly-in location, namely Asiago LIDA. In the foreground the massive World War I memorial, the tidy looking airfield in the background…

Continuing NE, we zigzagged thru the majestic Dolomites, impressive stuff. The Cima Ovest di Lavaredo (peaks at 9’754), North face in the shadow…

Same peaks, South face. We then finally turned West for an easy short flight back home, leapfrogging some of the Italian/Austrian/Swiss Alps.

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

Same peaks, South face.

Are you taking all these pics yourself or you have an assistant?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir, I’m starting to wonder too what’s happening here. Is this for real or are we seeing ChatGPT artistry here? Really awesome.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
Sign in to add your message