Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Croatian airspace

Posts moved out of the Brac fly-in thread

Yes, it can be hazy on some days in the summer. On one occasion I cancelled IFR and they let me fly down to Split in 1000 ft, which was nice for pictures. But I have not tried that for a couple of years now, no idea if they would still accept that.

BTW, just out of curiosity, I wonder if one could fly IFR low-level there. I mean: Croatia has controlled airspace above 1000 feet everywhere. So, even despite their mean ban on IFR in airspace Golf, there would be no reason why one shouldn’t be able to fly IFR over the sea at, say, 2000 feet MSL. Or is there some other obscure IFR minimum altitude rule somewhere in their regulations? Maybe @Emir can shed a bit of light on this?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A couple of years ago Zadar required me to cancel IFR when I went below 3000ft.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Lowest enroute IFR is 5000 ft and more usual 8000 ft. It’s defined with radar visibility.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

No wonder since AFAIK Croatia got help from Germany building their ATC system and regulations after the war. Same warped thinking.

Correct me if I’m wrong please.

Rwy20 wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong please.

Well, I believe that mountains also play some role

If M986 from KOPRY to ZAG or M19 from OBUTI to VBA go above mountains which are 3000ft, how can MEA be lower that 5000ft? Or if the same M986 from ZAG to KULEN goes above mountains which are 6000ft, how can MEA be lower that 8000ft?

Maybe some analysis would be useful before jumping to conclusions

Last Edited by Emir at 04 Aug 10:54
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Maybe some analysis would be useful before jumping to conclusions

boscomantico wrote:

So, even despite their mean ban on IFR in airspace Golf, there would be no reason why one shouldn’t be able to fly IFR over the sea at, say, 2000 feet MSL.

So why do I need to be at 5’000 ft above the sea?

Emir wrote:

If M986 from KOPRY to ZAG or M19 from OBUTI to VBA go above mountains which are 3000ft, how can MEA be lower that 5000ft?

Well, it could be 4000 ft since you don’t need more than 1000 ft obstacle at this level, but I see what you mean.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Can the MEA be lower that the MVA/MRVA (minimum radar vectoring altitude), in European airspace, practically speaking?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Can the MEA be lower that the MVA/MRVA (minimum radar vectoring altitude), in European airspace, practically speaking?

In Croatia no. In Bosnia yes. I don’t know for the other countries.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message