Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK GAR form discussion, and UK border police procedures

Buckerfan wrote:

Is this just normal UK govt software incompetence?

That’s normal at least it was 2 years ago when I was in UK last time.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The police here have been emailing me telling me to resubmit the GAR (which I have been emailing for years, as a PDF) using the .xlsx format.

OnlineGAR should work fine; that transmits the GAR electronically straight to the police.

An airport has no business asking for a GAR; they are prob99 not even registered under the DPA to see that level of personal information, nor do they have the setup to handle is securely. Airports asking for the GAR is an old “scam” in the UK; it needs to be resisted. Just tell them you have already sent it to the police.

I have the blank .xlsx form here: https://peter2000.co.uk/aviation/misc/GAR_Template_Updated_Dec_2020_v6.4_SDS.xlsx

@Buckerfan posts moved to existing GAR thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

I then forwarded the confirmation form from GARonline to the relevant Immigration people at Bristol Airport, along with the Immigration Clearance form.

Don’t do that. Fill in OnlineGAR and you’re done.

Never volunteer information, or you’ll end up having to do silly things like this. If it’s not listed as required in the AIP, it’s not required.

Andreas IOM

I agree.
If we had all resisted PPR what would they do? Shut the airfields?
For private strips with special requirements, yes.
For fully funtional aerodromes, hell no.

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

An airport has no business asking for a GAR

Its not the airport per se that is asking for the GAR info, it is the immigration people who cover the area where my private strip is based, who happen to be based at Bristol Airport AFAIK

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

OnelineGAR sends the required info to the people who require it. The airport does not need/ has no right to be involved.

EGNS, Other

Be very carefully with this. The instructions I the GAR changed a can years ago.

GAR instructions

They now include

Terrorism Act 2000 Reporting Requirements
To meet the reporting requirements set out in the Terrorism Act 2000, in addition to sending the GAR
to the NCU or submitting via an online portal, you must also submit the completed GAR form in an
Excel format to the Police Force responsible for the departure/arrival port by email using the contact
details shown in Annex D. If further information is required then please contact the relevant
county/area on the phone numbers provided in Annex D.

It can be one step forward and then one step back with the UK customs procedures!

I suspect “Online GAR” might do that for you, but the official online portal does not according to the above.

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 06 Jun 12:36
EIWT Weston, Ireland

Maybe not the best thread for this but I have one data point: the UK police do want the GAR form for flying approaches (no ground contact) in France.

2 turned up today at Shoreham at vast expense to the taxpayer

PHE form not required apparently (the opposite of what the local Plod office told me, but hey…)

It seems I was lucky to not get “interviewed” after these two trips. I put on top of the GAR in big letters UK TO UK FLIGHT, NOT LANDING ABROAD and wonder if perhaps the others did a UK-FRANCE-UK GAR which would definitely get attention.

Administrator

This has just popped up

Aerodrome_Designation_Status

Administrator

I was one of the first to start the ball rolling on the Certificate of Agreement application for our grass strip. We had our inspection late last year and were the first for our part of the UK. As we use the strip a lot for arrival from abroad I wanted to make sure there would be no problems.

If anyone wants insight into the process just let me know directly. [email protected]

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message