Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK GAR form discussion, and UK border police procedures

vmc-on-top wrote:

For the life of me, cannot fathom why the online gar sends an email to immigration in time marked as local time.

That is nothing compared to the absurdity of the new UK Govt’s own online GAR filing system.

It turns out that GARs for arrival at private sites in the UK (ie ZZZZ desigantion) dont get sent properly, or in the right format, to the relevant regional Border Force offices. After receiving panicky calls from Border Force officials asking why I was landing at a UK airstrip from the EU when I supposedly hadnt filed a GAR we discovered the cause of the problem. The result noww being that I have to file a GAR AND send an email with the same details to Border Force. Ridiculous!

I might add that the new Govt filing system is riddled with poor coding too.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

It would be difficult to parse ZZZZ + farm strip name into a lat/long location and identify the right police station to send the form to. I can see that would be more software than in all the rest of the project.

The way I would handle that is to establish which police force handles your strip and just email them every time. That’s what I do. Except mine changed from Newhaven to Biggin Hill recently, so now I email both of those Plus the NCU address even though there is no evidence that does anything whatsoever IF you email your local one.

The govt GAR website may be crap but it does comply with the guidelines on accessibility for partially sighted users

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

It’s still working but it has never been fully functional – it doesn’t keep the record of crew, passengers, aircraft data and sometimes loses the history of previous flights.

Looking at my OnlineGAR records it shows that I have filed 550 times on the past 6 years with 100% success and it remembers every single one of the trips in every detail.

I cant see why Emir’s works any differently.

For me, OnlineGAR is an amazing tool and thank Carl for making things so easy and reliable.

quatrelle wrote:

I cant see why Emir’s works any differently.

I don’t know either but it didn’t bother me much as long as it fulfilled its primary function which was always ok.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

It would be difficult to parse ZZZZ + farm strip name into a lat/long location

Peter, Lat/Long is actually one of the required inputs on the new govt PAR.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

I still would not fancy coding that

Of course it can be done; it is similar to geofencing a missile’s GPS to make sure it cannot land in Russia But here you are talking about UK Govt IT…

Administrator

Emir wrote:

It’s still working but it has never been fully functional – it doesn’t keep the record of crew, passengers, aircraft data and sometimes loses the history of previous flights.

Is there another OnlineGAR (other than Carl’s?) The OnlineGAR (for the avoidance of doubt, https://www.onlinegar.com/ ) has a full history of all the filed forms I’ve made, and has all the crew/passenger/aircraft data I’ve put into it. I’ve never had any data loss problems with it.

Andreas IOM

UK AOPA used to run one. Now it is just the govt website, or email as above.

I have not tried the govt site since they emailed me (and to their entire client list, presumably) their entire client list

Administrator

Peter wrote:

UK AOPA used to run one.

UK AOPA used to have an agreement with onlinegar.com that allowed free of charge use by AOPA members of a not-all-features version of onlinegar.com, like e.g. strictly UK only (not Netherlands), possibly also no history saved, etc. OTOH it allowed GARs for turboprop airplanes.

ELLX
LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message