Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK GAR form discussion, and UK border police procedures

like an accessible waiting room and toilets for the BF officers

I recall seeing that a long time ago, and I am not sure they actually insist on it. Thinking of the various grass places I have been to, I think most can find a parking spot (after all, the pilots need to park somewhere), a wooden shed can be the passenger luggage examination area, so the biggest issue is toilets which can’t just be a hole in the ground but again I think most strips have got toilets.

Deanland has plenty of money, and they have parking, toilets, etc. So I am not surprised they did it.

I can well believe that some strip owners will not be aware.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The updated GAR guidance is out, containing a new list of designated and CoA’d airfields.
Here

Apart from the obvious typos, and reading also the other guidance above, it seems to say that:

• for international flights, the UK airfield used must EITHER be customs-designated OR have a CoA. In other words, all the airfields in the list are ok
  • caveat: in case of CoA airfields, the CoA may contain restrictions as to which type of international flights is allowed. Therefore, the pilot has to check with the airfield operator for any specific flight. (I guess this mostly refers to the case of CI flights, which may be precluded by the CoA, allowing only flights to the EU, but that is mere speculation).
  • other caveat: there may actually be more CoA aerodromes than those listed (as some airfields may want to keep it undisclosed).

So, in short, for international flights: if the airfield is customs-designated, all is good. For CoA airfields, better check details. For non-listed airfields, worth checking if they do have a CoA nonetheless.

As expected, there are many active airfields missing from the list. It seems that in most cases, this is not due to the owner choosing to not appear there, but rather that either the owner did not (yet) complete all the formalities to gain the CoA or that it is a delay/cockup by the HMRC).

• At first glance, there are quite a few missing airfields in the southeast of England, which I assume were previously quite attractive as first/last stops in the UK when going to or from France, etc: Damyn’s Hall(!), Thurrock, Eastchurch, Old Warden(!), Spilstead Farm, Swanborough, Dunsfold
  • Likewise a few airfields in the southwest can possibly no longer be used for international flights: Truro, Branscombe, St. Merryn
  • Many a very active GA airfield in the northwest of England is missing, meaning that these likely can no longer be used for flights to or from say Ireland: Sleap, Kirkbride, Carlisle, etc.
  • Most Scottish airfields are missing (!)

The section “Exceptional in-flight circumstances” is also very interesting…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Jan 09:23
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@boscomantico For example, Duxford isn’t on the list. Does this mean I can’t fly abroad from there?

Correction – it is on the list but misspelt – DuYesford Airfield – EGSU. Having said that, it’s marked as “Certificate of Agreement airport approved for 3rd country aircraft imports : A *”

Last Edited by Fernando at 03 Jan 09:56
EGSU, United Kingdom

I called Duxford and indeed you can’t, but they are sorting it with the BF right now.

As I imagine will be loads of others

One of the characteristics of GA is that loads of people are “outside the system” until “something blows up” and then they reluctantly get their reading glasses on… or somebody points them to EuroGA Look at e.g. the 10 years of derogations on the Brussels’ demand for dual papers; it was very obvious that about half of Europe’s CAAs were unable or unwilling to read the reg

Administrator

It looks like someone did a find and replace on X to change it to YES. Presumably someone put x in under all the new airfield with c of a and wanted to change it to Yes.

But they didn’t check what else changed. Hence any airfield with x in its name has it changed to yes.

So Duxford becomes DuYesford and Exeter becomes EYesexter.

Very disappointed to see that Colonsay, Coll and Oban are all missing from the list. Hopefully this will change in the future.

Brexit _ the gift that keeps on giving. Nice to see that it has helped to make the UK the best place for GA…. Not.

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 03 Jan 10:07
EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter wrote:

I called Duxford and indeed you can’t, but they are sorting it with the BF right now.

I’m heading to the tower as I type this :)

dublinpilot wrote:

But they didn’t check what else changed. Hence any airfield with x in its name has it changed to yes.

Unbelievable!

EGSU, United Kingdom

It’s not a gift or brexit – it is simple incompetence, of which there is an endless supply in aviation. And the police recruit for a certain maximum IQ in most countries, and the Border Force subtracts another 20 points from that figure Let’s face it, BF in Scotland is not that busy; it’s been a few years since the Norwegians did some proper looting and pillaging.

Just called Oban on 01631 572910 and the call gets transferred to a voicemail saying “this person’s phone is switched off”. This is 10:10am! He’s probably still digesting the previous night’s boozing

The UK actually has a great system with the GAR form. Best system in Europe, the rest of which runs the ancient “pretend” customs and immigration where a couple of plebs pretend to perform these two tasks without actually doing anything and just wasting a load of everybody’s time.

Administrator

The changes are a direct result of Brexit. The UK is now outside the EU customs union and it now has to treat all flights the same as it previously treated non EU flights in order to protect its own customs.

There is no change here exempt that EU flights are no longer exempt from customs arrangements and are now treated the same as all other international flights previously were. So this IS a direct result of Brexit.

The UK GAR is not near as good as Schengen!

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 03 Jan 10:38
EIWT Weston, Ireland

Realistically, the UK was never going to join schengen, ever. It simply cannot do so because

• the English language is the most popular in European immigration destination, but only UK and Ireland speak it as #1
  • the extremely generous UK welfare system

Customs and immigration are both done with the GAR.

Non EU (e.g. UK to CH) was previously 24hrs GAR PN and is now 2hrs before dep for all (except the CTA which remains at 12hrs) so this is better in general.

The CTA 12hr GAR PN is silly but no sign of the police yielding on that, for job protection reasons.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

the extremely generous UK welfare system

Funny, French media (used to?) depict the UK as “capitalist libertarian less protective of the vulnerable workers against the evil employers that take advantage of them” compared to France, a land of lower social security contributions (“taxes”), and hinted that’s why French young professionals emigrate to the UK.

ELLX
Sign in to add your message