Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Temporary Schengen "suspension" around Europe

I wonder what/who started this rumor.
I’m sure if the rules would change they would at least publish a NOTAM.

What a shame for VVMV…

I couldn’t agree more, what a joke.
They are supposed to inform/help us and the clubs.
But the pilots and clubs already had the correct information weeks before the first confusing VVMV mailing.

Last Edited by jvdo at 17 Nov 20:59
EBMO, EBKT

achimha wrote:

The FUD was spread by VVMV and FUD should be called FUD. As Aviathor said, if you keep asking a sufficiently large number of (semi) officials whether something is forbidden, you will eventually get the response you were looking for.

+ 1 !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Medres07 wrote:

==> EuroGA, Aviathor,… where right from the beginning ==> I know who to consult in the future!

And THANK YOU @Aviathor for the F U D Alert !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

From here

The Service de l’information aéronautique is now compelled by law to issue an official list of French border crossing point. (At last!)
https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/pub/media/store/documents/file/l/f/lf_circ_2017_a_031_en.pdf

local copy

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Coming back to this saga I received a mail from a school at EBKT which forwarded a mail from the border police of EBKT which on its turn received a mail from the french police stating that you have to pass by a border airport even for intra Schengen flights.

I must confess that I do not agree with his logic as art9 states “les services désignés selon les modalités prévues à l’article 3” and when I read the modality of article 3 it states “les services désignés par la France et notifiés à la Commission européenne pour publication au Journal officiel de l’Union européenne”

Just to fuel the discussion and so you are aware of possible interpretations by the police.

Hereafter a copy paste (with slight edits to remove names and overhead) of the mail signed by
Major de Police
D.Z.P.A.F. NORD
Brigade de Police Aéronautique:

Message transféré -——-

Sujet :[Certifie] RCFI sur les aérodromes.
Date : Thu, 11 Jan 2018 14:48:55 +0100

Comme évoqué ce matin, s’agissant du Rétablissement du Contrôle aux Frontières Intérieures (RCFI) voici le dernier complément :

Le nouvel arrêté relatif au franchissement des frontières par les personnes et les marchandises sur les aérodromes (dit arrêté TAI pour transports aériens internationaux) du 24 octobre 2017 a été publié au JORF du 25 octobre dernier.

L’article 9 de ce nouvel arrêté précise désormais que les aérodromes n’ayant pas la qualité de point de passage frontalier sont autorisés à recevoir des vols directs en provenance ou à destination de pays appartenant à l’espace Schengen, sans qu’aucune formalité liée au contrôle aux frontières des personnes ne soit requise, sans préjudice des dispositions énoncées au chapitre III de cet arrêté.

Toutefois, lorsque les contrôles aux frontières intérieures sont temporairement réintroduits en application du code frontières Schengen, des contrôles aux frontières peuvent être réalisés sur ces aérodromes par les services désignés, selon les modalités prévues à l’article 3 qui lui même renvoie à l’article 2. La réintroduction des contrôles aux frontières intérieures reste en vigueur jusqu’au 30 avril prochain.

Par conséquent, en raison du RCFI il faut que les passagers franchissant nos frontières intérieures transitent au préalable par un point de passage frontalier (terrain ouvert au TI) et ce jusqu’au 30 avril prochain 2018.

Les infractions à relever éventuellement :

Nature CONTRAVENTION PENALE DE CLASSE 5
Qualification
FRANCHISSEMENT DE FRONTIERE METROPOLITAINE SANS DEPOT PREALABLE DE PLAN DE VOL – AERONEF, VOL A VUE
Nb Peines 1
AMENDE CONTRAVENTIONNELLE

Nature DELIT PENAL
Qualification
DEPART OU ARRIVEE HORS D’UN AEROPORT INTERNATIONAL – AERONEF EFFECTUANT UN VOL INTERNATIONAL
Nb Peines 2
EMPRISONNEMENT DELICTUEL
AMENDE DELICTUELLE

Last Edited by jfw at 18 Jan 10:42
jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

A silly question from my side. Assuming I want to fly to Colmar departing Germany, a while back I heard that, due to the state of emergency in place, you had to submit details of all occupants of the aircraft to the authorities 24 hours in advance. Is this still the case? Or does a DFS filed flight plan suffice?

EDL*, Germany

I’m not a lawyer, but I respectfully disagree with the honourable “Major de Police”. He writes himself (emphasis mine, this a quote from article 9 of the Arrêté):

(….) les aérodromes n’ayant pas la qualité de point de passage frontalier (…)
Toutefois, lorsque les contrôles aux frontières intérieures sont temporairement réintroduits (…), des contrôles aux frontières peuvent être réalisés sur ces aérodromes par les services désignés,

Meaning:

(…) aerodromes that are not border crossing points (…)
However, when controls on intra-Schengen borders are temporarily reintroduced (…), controls can be done on these aerodromes by the services in charge of doing so.

It says “on these aerodromes”. Meaning the border police (or the Customs having a border policy mission AFAIU) can come on these aerodromes and check your papers. The subsequent reference to “article 3 referring to article 2” is a red herring. Article 3 basically says that the border controls on aerodromes referred to in article 2 are done by people legally designated for this mission (and not, say by the city office’s janitor) and in conformance with the law on border crossings. “Obviously”, the reference to Article 3 in article 9 has to be read mutatis mutandis, that is that the procedures established by article 3 for “aerodromes referred to in Article 2” (namely controls have to be done in accordance with the law and by people designated for this mission) have to be followed also when border controls are made at aerodromes not referred to in Article 2. Not that suddenly the traffic has to go through an “aerodrome referred to in Article 2”.

Last Edited by lionel at 18 Jan 11:07
ELLX

@lionnel I fully agree with you… reference to article 3 is regarding the designation of the services that can control you.

Art 9 should thus be read as follows:

Toutefois, lorsque les contrôles aux frontières intérieures sont temporairement réintroduits (…), des contrôles aux frontières peuvent être réalisés sur ces aérodromes par les services désignés [ref to article 3] par la France et notifiés à la Commission européenne pour publication au Journal officiel de l’Union européenne

I think this could be useful should French native speaking persons get a remark… I find it very disappointing that even the “authorities” can interpret legal texts wrongly.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

jfw wrote:

Nature DELIT PENAL
Qualification
DEPART OU ARRIVEE HORS D’UN AEROPORT INTERNATIONAL – AERONEF EFFECTUANT UN VOL INTERNATIONAL
Nb Peines 2
EMPRISONNEMENT DELICTUEL
AMENDE DELICTUELLE

I would answer him by citing the relevant punishment for bending the law by state officials.

Attention intra-Schengen avion en approche …

Last Edited by nobbi at 18 Jan 15:43
EDxx, Germany
Sign in to add your message