Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATC referring to airway names (and airspace discussion)

Yes, acceptable published routings are communicated to Eurocontrol. But it is impossible to define for every possible DCT between two random fixes whether this is permissible or not. The number of possible combinations is huge ! That’s why airways are practical.

And it is not because IFPS doesn’t read notams that they don’t apply. They have more than enough resources to check them. Maybe it’s hard to feed that data into their IT-system. But then they should get a better system…

EBST, Belgium

@airways, you seem to be the expert here… not.

airways wrote:

But it is impossible to define for every possible DCT between two random fixes whether this is permissible or not. The number of possible combinations is huge !

Nothing could be easier. Just define a 3D volume (an “airspace”), like “EHDCT”, then set a DCT limit of 0 (like EH2A), and voilà, you disabled DCT’s for a whole area. You can even add exceptions (again, just like EH2A).

airways wrote:

And it is not because IFPS doesn’t read notams

IFPS is the Integrated Initial Flight Plan Processing System. That is a computer program. NOTAMs are not machine readable (I know because I try, for briefing pack classification) (there is the Digital NOTAM specification to fix that, but it doesn’t seem to get anywhere). However, NM (the Network Manager of Eurocontrol) actually does have people who do read NOTAMs and try to convert them into computer readable rules.

airways wrote:

Maybe it’s hard to feed that data into their IT-system.

It isn’t. Even if an ANSP doesn’t want to deal with computers, they can just tell Eurocontrol what they want and Eurocontrol will implement it for them. There’s even a one page paper form for that.

Last Edited by tomjnx at 26 Apr 14:45
LSZK, Switzerland

That might very well be, your highness, but at the end of the day the problem is still there

EBST, Belgium

Airborne_Again wrote:

It was a long time since I was last in France, but in every other country when flying in controlled airspace, the departure airport tower gives me a clearance to my destination. In fact IIRC the ICAO SARPS say that ATC should give a clearance to the destination if coordination between the ATC units en-route can be expected.

@Airborne_Again, that’s because it’s France; there are lots of things they do not do like everyone else, just to make a point.

This confused the h* out of me too when I started flying IFR in France after having been trained and flown in the US.

Peter wrote:

“Cleared to EGKA” not realising EGKA is in Class G, makes no sense.

@Peter, that’s just because you are British (sort of), and as such you do not do anything as everyone else, including driving on the left side of the road from the right side of the car. Your buddies, the Americans, do it too and they think it’s perfectly normal.

We need more SER* (Single European Rules of *) to get all of this ironed out, and a pan-European ATC system.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 26 Apr 15:16
LFPT, LFPN

That issue would be identical for any OCAS destination, or for any CAS destination where they go to sleep (with a bottle of wine) at the weekends (much of rural France e.g. St Yan) and some CAS has nobody controlling it. The airport’s CAS should be cancelled but you cannot enter other CAS in the vicinity.

And other permutations.

The “cleared to dest” clearance is logically right and consistent for Gatwick to New York, and such. Or Gatwick to Split, at jet levels…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The “cleared to dest” clearance is logically right and consistent for Gatwick to New York, and such.

Actually not even there as you need a separate oceanic clearance.

There seem to be a lot of regional variations. Leaving Oxford you usually get cleared to enter controlled airspace on track KENET FL080. KENET is on my flight plan. Unless they put me on vectors they fully expect me to keep flying the flight plan. No one has ever said so however.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

cleared to enter controlled airspace on track KENET FL080

I would interpret that as direct KENET then flight planned route.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

chrisparker wrote:

I would interpret that as direct KENET then flight planned route.

Of course and that is what I do and is expected. Merely pointing out that ATC don’t always explicitly clear you Flight Planned Route.

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

they go to sleep (with a bottle of wine) at the weekends (much of rural France e.g. St Yan)

The bottle of wine is not restricted to rural France .

Anyway here is a FPL from Bournemouth (EGHH) to Dinard (LFRD) made of DCT segment in CAS that validates.

(FPL-GABCD-IG
-M20P/L-SDFGRY/EB1
-EGHH1200
-N0155F150 THRED Q41 ORTAC DCT JSY035032 DCT JSY DCT MINQI
-LFRD0052 LFRB
-PBN/B2S1 DOF/160427 REG/GABCD RVR/550 OPR/PILOT RMK/IFPS REROUTE ACCEPTED
-E/0400 P/2 R/E A/WHITE AND RED N/PHONE C/CAPTAIN)

This waypoint “JSY035032” sits straight into a P area in France (from SFC to FL195).

ATC in Bournemouth will be unable to detect that.
They may tell you that you are cleared to destination via THRED departure but that is not a clearance to fly into P area.
Pilots are responsible of their planned route.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 26 Apr 19:56

Peter wrote:

CAS has nobody controlling it

When CAS has nobody controlling it (ie at the weekends), in France, the airspace is downgraded to class G airspace

Sign in to add your message