Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tablet software reviews

The whole concept of “official charts” has gradually disintegrated in Europe in recent years

It depends on what you mean by “official”. Jeppesen is not an official source in my opinion, and never has been. Actually I don’t think I have ever used a Jeppesen chart for anything usable.

The medium has changed. Today all official charts (from state entities) are online, and they can be accessed with neat moving map apps for PC or phone or pads, and they are all free of charge for anyone. The only exception in Norway is the M517 military maps by the air force, they are the de-facto standard for everyone flying VFR, but exists only publicly as paper maps. These maps are mandatory for peace time military low level flying. These maps are also official in the sense that they include obstacles (power lines for instance) that are lacking in all available aviation moving map apps (only the really large power lines, the ones you can see anyway, are included in those). The obstacles are however, included and updated on a 90 day basis in these free “official” general map apps, and the M517 maps are only updated each 1-3 years or something.

If the military could “free” the electronic version of the M517 maps, there would be very little need for any of those aviation moving maps. As it is today I have M517 paper maps (way too old, but still functioning well ), and EasyVFR on my phone/pad. I think this is the situation for most people, keeping a set of paper maps, mostly because of habit or superstition or whatever, and using the aviation app more or less exclusively. Sometimes I even use old school paper navigation just for fun (why let the gadgets do all the fun? all the time?)

But, my point is, VFR navigation is very simple when you have a moving map telling you where you are, speed and direction. Instead of paper maps as some old school backup, it would be much more practical with a pad and a moving map there, Google maps for that matter (if it worked off-line). There is no requirement that the maps for VFR flying have to be “official” or paper or even aviation related. Anything will do. The problem with these general new map apps, is they are based on internet connection, they are cloud based apps, and this render them useless as backup.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

There are many maps for i-Devices or Android very similar to Google Maps that can be downloaded and used offline. A good example for iPad is “Pocket Earth”, which i use for car navigation in many countries and as a map for walking too. Pocket Earth, for example, is completely free.

FlyIsFun is nice on android. I run it on my phone though, on the tablet I installed Skydemon.

http://funair.cz/en/web/android-aviation-navigation

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

It depends on what you mean by “official”. Jeppesen is not an official source in my opinion, and never has been. Actually I don’t think I have ever used a Jeppesen chart for anything usable.

Hence the silliness of using the term official. Most airlines are using the Jeppesen. Official or not.

EGTK Oxford

The problem is that the person you may be debating this with will not be on EuroGA.

It will be a police officer and they are recruited from what one might call a fairly specific character profile

The end result may not be a prosecution, or a successful one, but getting that far is going to cost you a minimum of four figures and a lot of grief.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jeppesen charts are accepted all around the world, and there is absolutely no necessity to use anything else. They are used by a majority of all airlines also.

Terminal charts or VFR charts? Jepp stopped doing the VFR ones in 2013.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hence the silliness of using the term official. Most airlines are using the Jeppesen. Official or not.

Is the term “official” actually used in any regulation? I think the term used is “appropriate”.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

David wrote:

I am planning to write a review of in-flight tablet software for VFR and IFR flight

Dave, did you manage to get some outputs here or still on your to-do list and below the waterline?

Last Edited by Michal at 18 Nov 14:17
LKKU, LKTB

Things conspired against me. Mostly, or in fact solely, time. I did start the investigation and it was interesting, but I didn’t get as far as finishing reviewing each product let alone writing it up. It’s something I hope to revisit. It was interesting and I think people would find it useful.

Was there anything specific you wanted to know?

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message