Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

MEP training

The DA42 is indeed more benign to fly than the Piper twins. Six hours should be enough, if these hours are well spent of course. Good idea to fly down with the instructor and see the en-route things, like aux tanks usage. You will for instance see a peculiarity of the main tank fuel meter. When they are 2/3 full and you start pumping fuel in there from the aux tanks, it shows no increase for a while, while the ‘aux pumps’ are on. Makes you wonder whether there is really fuel is flowing in there or not… There is, and you’ll suddenly see a large increase in fuel quantity in the main tanks appearing.

I don’t know how familiar you are with the G1000. If not, I’d recommend you to read about it. Plenty of good books (Trescott) and training software on the market.

Depending on winds and bladder capacities you’d be able to arrive direct from Sweden. Approximate fuel cost: 350 euros..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I’m sure there are not limitations after MEP training on DA42. Otherwise, each school that uses DA42 would have to have additional twin with steam gauges and prop/mixture controls and that doesn’t make sense at all. MEP training on DA42 (including IR) is completely valid without limitations as any other MEP training on certified platforms.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

You will for instance see a peculiarity of the main tank fuel meter.

Yeah I’ve heard of it.

I don’t know how familiar you are with the G1000.

I used to own G1000 equipped C172 but my muscle (and brain) memory on using it are little bit rusted.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir as mentioned earlier you will need differences training logged if you want to fly a legacy piston twin. DA42 only schools have either normal Lycomings (USA) where this does not apply, or are focused on fATP training where the MEP will not be used on a legacy twin as the student plans to progress to Multi Jet type rating.

Limited panel sign off in these schools would be via the SIM.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

you will need differences training logged if you want to fly a legacy piston twin

No intentions on doing this I plan to stick to DA42. But out of curiosity, who would check if I had these logged when I sit behind yoke/stick? If I have rating, legaly I can fly anything that’s covered with this rating taking into account if some specifics (like high performance if such exception exists if I already have MEP) are required for particualar type. What I’m saying is that if I have MEP rating, I can fly Seneca regardless if it has steam gauges or G1000.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

who would check if I had these logged when I sit behind yoke/stick?

Possibly your nsurance adjuster/claims manager?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

When I moved from traditional 6-pack to the G1000, I did some difference training, and the G1000 was signed off in my logbook.

It is obviously a good idea to get some G1000 difference training. Trivial things (like setting the transponder code), can be quite hard if you have to figure it out on your own in the air…

But the question is: Under EASA, is the G1000 sign off a formal procedure, or is it something made up by the flight school to sell hours (like the notorious UK “Channel Crossing signoff”) ?

What I’m saying is that if I have MEP rating, I can fly Seneca regardless if it has steam gauges or G1000.

No, you will need differences training. For very similar types a familiarisation (i.e. reading the manual) will be sufficient. Who is going to check? If all goes well, nobody. If something goes wrong: As written above by Robert. Or any ramp inspector you may encounter anywhere. It’s a gamble. And if you want to hire an aeroplane, the owner will certainly make sure that you are familiar with it. But if you can fly a Seneca well, conversion to any other twin will be a piece of cake

EDDS - Stuttgart

There is however a clear difference between legally required training and sensibly required training.

For example I could jump into a G1000 SEP and fly it, but I would never do that because I have very little time behind a G1000.

However I could get familiarised with the G1000 with somebody who knows it, informally. If the person is not an instructor, no signoff is even possible. That’s why one must be totally clear about what is legally required.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looking at the AMC/GM to part FCL , there is a table on page 227 with all things where differences training is required.

To me it looks like the differences list only applies to SEP, not MEP!

Can anyone find an official EASA reference saying otherwise?

Edit:
Found a better reference

For SEP, difference training is required between the listed differences.

For MEP:

Differences training required between all MEP (land) aircraft.

Does this mean you need differences training for each individual aircraft? Or is there some defined threshold below which differences training is not needed?

Last Edited by jwoolard at 28 Jul 10:14
EGEO
Sign in to add your message