Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into French Language Only (FR-only) airfields (and French ATC ELP)

The Jepp plate says at the bottom of the briefing strip “4. If local ATS not available, A/A in French only”

Biggin Hill

German „tutorial“ here and more notes on radio comms in France here.

All French airfields-airports with an ATS are french-only when the ATS is not active.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The Jepp plate says at the bottom of the briefing strip “4. If local ATS not available, A/A in French only”

My bad, let me read that for you

Reminded me of this

https://letmegooglethat.com/

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Nov 07:35
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

All French airfields-airports with an ATS are french-only when the ATS is not active.

And they remind you of it even before entering the circuit ;-) I got ‘’interrogated” by LFLB ATC coming back from Biggin 2 weeks ago (in English) if I knew how to speak French as LFLP was NOTAMed no ATC (I switched to French to avoid being ramp checked on the ground ;-))
I do think the rule makes sense tbh given the level of overall radio proficiency when flying into non towered airfields to use local language…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Have there been any cases of someone trying but being hopeless at French and getting pulled up on it? I have a reasonable understanding of written French but can barely pick out a word during French ATC exchanges. I remember one of the The Flying Reporter’s videos where he flew into somewhere (maybe Calais) with just poorly pronounced circuit positions and was thinking I’d probably not try it at that level of proficiency.

EIMH, Ireland

You need to speak French, there is no level of proficiency nor certificate required nor mention on licence BUT you need to have English LP on your PPL if you are not holding DGAC papers…

There was no case of prosecution or anything related to “FR only”, just some anecdotes here and there, some people got caught for lack of “English LP” though…

Practically, the “one pager list of words” are not a good idea if joining a busy circuit on a sunny day but they may do the job if no traffic is around

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Nov 09:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I was just discussing this thread with my wife, and she asked me whether a German flying in to a German towered airport (for example) is required to speak English. I said I believe so, since German isn’t an ICAO language… is that the case?

LFMD, France

I was just discussing this thread with my wife, and she asked me whether a German flying in to a German towered airport (for example) is required to speak English. I said I believe so, since German isn’t an ICAO language… is that the case?

Under IFR yes, English only. Under VFR no, you may use German. There are even small (VFR only) fields where you have to.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

And this has nothing to do with the working languages of ICAO as an organization.

Under IFR yes, English only

That’s interesting, given that France has a law requiring French pilots (whatever that means) to use French for ATC comms in France, for VFR and IFR.

Of course any border crossing still requires ELP on the license even if you speak both languages in question

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message