Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Night VFR

branchwarren wrote:

If an airport is approved for night VFR and nothing is mentioned on the VAC map

If an airport is approved for night VFR it is mentioned on the VAC map. Some fields ask for PPR to arm PCL. And they are often FR-only when ATS is closed.

branchwarren wrote:

Is the windsock always illuminated ?
On the Flight Information frequency, is there always someone available during the night ?

WIth PCL, windsock is lighted and FIS/Approach is working.

France

Many thanks. Does it mean that I can land/takeoff at anytime during the night ?

Switzerland

In most cases, reading the VAC completely will suffice. The easiest way would be to give us an exemple. Then we could decipher it here Branchwarren.

Sometimes, the English translation in the VAC is awkward

LFOU, France

Example for Grenoble Isere
- PCL is available
- Does it mean I can land anytime after 20h ? and exit the airport easily (to go to a hotel for example)
- If I decide to flow directly to Lyon Bon after 20h, how does the landing fee work ?

Switzerland

These things (lighting, getting in/out and payment process) you MUST ask to the airport operator / staff beforehand. These things will be different for every airport and will not be published in all detail in the AIP.

I would call the two numbers above and ask.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bosco is right.
You can know from the AIP if PCL is on or PPR. In this case, it appears it is always working.
But how you will get out of the airport is really specific. Airports are a little security-concerned about these details. You may call but they sometimes prefer an email with your name.

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

But how you will get out of the airport is really specific

First time visitors complaining that they got stuck by night at LFPN is the reason why AIP entry now state “only based aircraft/pilots after 21.30L”

But agree with Bosco a simple phone call should clarify all details that are not in listed in the AIP, better before than after

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

branchwarren wrote:

Does it mean that I can land/takeoff at anytime during the night ?

The bit you need is from th top of the first page of the VAC:
“Absence ATS: A/A (119.300) FR Seulement / Only”

So Yes. If you can self announce in French…

Regards, SD..

I also recommend to call. As an example, one field I wanted to land at was PCL after hours however, it was only switched on if you called.

Some kids would use a radio and play with runway lights so ATC decided to turn the system off if no inbound plane was due.

This was not written anywhere and I had to divert.

EGKB LFQQ EBAW

davidfabry wrote:

One field I wanted to land at was PCL after hours however, it was only switched on if you called.
Some kids would use a radio and play with runway lights so ATC decided to turn the system off if no inbound plane was due.
This was not written anywhere and I had to divert.

What, no NOTAM or anything? Bloody dangerous and someone needs a good kick up the proverbial for doing that, if true!!

Sign in to add your message