Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Night VFR

I think most of the concern around night VFR comes from lack of experience, which I presume is a result of years of it being banned in most (?) of Europe. It was only allowed in NL in 2020. By contrast in the US it’s normal and common to fly VFR at night. Nearly all fields are 24/7 with lighting activated by clicking the radio on the CTAF if there’s no one in the tower (or it’s uncontrolled).

While there are disadvantages to flying at night, there are many advantages (less turbulence, traffic is easier to see, less traffic, etc.). I find it a peaceful experience, and passengers are always awed by the nighttime city lights. But you do need good training, and just like the PPL you then need to fly a lot at night to gain practical experience. Presuming you are proficient, the primary risks are engine failure and CFIT. In the former case you find a lighted road, and the latter issue is much reduced with modern nav tools.

EHRD, Netherlands

petakas wrote:

The “Exceptional Circumstances” mentioned usually refer to State/Medevac/SAR/Military etc. aircraft.

Plus those two CPL/IR training schools

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

In Greece Night VFR is not allowed.
The “Exceptional Circumstances” mentioned usually refer to State/Medevac/SAR/Military etc. aircraft.

Excerpt from Greece AIP

LGMG Megara, Greece

Peter wrote:

Straight-in is always safer.

If you do have an IAP with vertical guidance (or PAPI), then maybe. Otherwise I disagree – at least if we’re talking about light aircraft. The key to a safe approach – particularly in darkness – is to get on a reasonable glidepath. If you do a straight-in without vertical guidance you have to do that by cross-checking altitude with distance.

If you do a traffic circuit, you do that by flying the circuit in the same was as you always would, starting from abeam the threshold and turning base at the usual point (and height). Then when you turn final you’ll be on the proper glidepath. The final will also be much shorter compared to a straight-in which in this case is an advantage.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Going into Henderson at night I would follow Highway 15, stay high until over the field, then circle down overhead while staying out of the Vegas Class B. There is more than one way to skin a cat, as you imply.

I’m not a huge fan of straight-ins into busy airports in VMC, day or night. Even more so if a tower is not in operation.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Oct 22:48

In my experience it all depends. Pottering around the Bay Area at night everything is lit up like Christmas. Though I did once have a nasty moment of doubt flying over the East Bay hills.

But flying VFR into Henderson (KHND, south of Vegas) at night I would ONLY fly the approach, VFR or IFR. You are are coming over totally dark, descending terrain. It’s scary even when you fly the approach.

There was a nasty accident a few years back – two extremely experienced local pilots flying south-west out of North Las Vegas (KVGT) who did a CFIT into the hills west of Vegas.

LFMD, France

I could see it might be safer if making an ILS over terrain, but Circle to Land at night has proven hazardous – I’d rather do a visual base pattern entry.

it gets tricky when VRPs or Villages are not even in the VAC chart, one can be prompt by giving distances or radiales to airport overhead and let them get done with it
Alternatively, if that does not work one can say it’s not on direct route or bullshit that aircraft is above an overcast, it’s Golf after all
I find those villages at home after two drinks and scrolling on SkyDemon

I don’t understand. Are there some missing words or punctuation?

I’ve never before heard of anybody using a practice IFR approach procedure because it’s dark.

It is safer if there is terrain around, and it is properly dark.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve never before heard of anybody using a practice IFR approach procedure because it’s dark.

Assuming VMC probably 50 VFR flights a night are made into my base, some fraction of which are after the tower closes. IFR approaches are likely to be ongoing concurrently, mainly for training. Those IFR flights switch to common traffic advisory frequency when close to the airport. Most of the VFR flights would not be talking to Approach, so just as in daytime there’s no common frequency until everybody is close to the airport.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Oct 21:05

While VFR load of ATS ask to report over villages and VRP day or night and yes many refuse IFR waypoints, it gets tricky when VRPs or Villages are not even in the VAC chart, one can be prompt by giving distances or radiales to airport overhead and let them get done with it

Alternatively, if that does not work one can say it’s not on direct route or bullshit that aircraft is above an overcast, it’s Golf after all

I find those villages at home after two drinks and scrolling on SkyDemon

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Oct 20:42
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
167 Posts
Sign in to add your message