Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Night VFR

huv wrote:

Night VFR is not at all harmonised in EASAland.

That depends on what you mean. It is up to each country to allow it or not. But if they do, the same rules and the same rating apply.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

huv wrote:
Night VFR is not at all harmonised in EASAland.
That depends on what you mean. It is up to each country to allow it or not. But if they do, the same rules and the same rating apply.

This is for another thread. What I meant was that SERA is not at all harmonised. The same rules definitely do not apply concerning basics like weather minima and SVFR. Much more is up to each country than just whether to allow night VFR or not. Just look at Danish vs Swedish night VFR minima and minimum altitudes – significally different. There was a thread once trying to map VFR SERA differences and I was clear that there really are a lot. Sorry for the drift.

Last Edited by huv at 16 Sep 05:09
huv
EKRK, Denmark

Airborne_Again wrote:

They do? If the line of sight is at least 10 km, and the ceiling is at least 2000 feet, then the minima for NVFR is the same as for day VFR according to the regs in Norway.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

If the line of sight is at least 10 km, and the ceiling is at least 2000 feet, then the minima for NVFR is the same as for day VFR according to the regs in Norway.

I don’t understand that sentence.

This is what SERA has to say about night VFR:

SERA.5005(c)
When so prescribed by the competent authority, VFR flights at night may be permitted under the following conditions:
(1) if leaving the vicinity of an aerodrome, a flight plan shall be submitted in accordance with SERA.4001(b)(6);
(2) flights shall establish and maintain two-way radio communication on the appropriate ATS communication channel, when available;
(3) the VMC visibility and distance from cloud minima as specified in Table S5-1 shall apply except that:
..(i) the ceiling shall not be less than 450 m (1 500 ft);
..(ii) the reduced flight visibility provisions specified in Table S5-1(a) and (b) shall not apply;
..(iii) in airspace classes B,C,D,E,F and G, at and below 900m (3000ft) AMSL or 300m (1 000 ft) above terrain, whichever is the higher, the pilot shall maintain continuous sight of the surface; and
..(iv) [Deleted.]
..(v) for mountainous area, higher VMC visibility and distance from cloud minima may be prescribed by the competent authority;
(4) [Deleted.]
(5) except when necessary for take-off or landing, or except when specifically authorised by the competent authority, a VFR flight at night shall be flown at a level which is not below the minimum flight altitude established by the State whose territory is overflown, or, where no such minimum flight altitude has been established:
..(i) over high terrain or in mountainous areas, at a level which is at least 600 m (2 000 ft) above the highest obstacle located within 8 km of the estimated position of the aircraft;
..(ii) elsewhere than as specified in i), at a level which is at least 300 m (1 000 ft) above the highest obstacle located within 8 km of the estimated position of the aircraft.

Item (3)(ii) refers to the possibility of the national CAA to allow VFR flights to operate in flight visibility less than 5 (8) km.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 16 Sep 07:28

OK, see point (5).

except when necessary for take-off or landing, or except when specifically authorised by the competent authority, a VFR flight at night shall be flown at a level which is not below the minimum flight altitude established by the State whose territory is overflown, or, where no such minimum flight altitude has been established:
..(i) over high terrain or in mountainous areas, at a level which is at least 600 m (2 000 ft) above the highest obstacle located within 8 km of the estimated position of the aircraft;
..(ii) elsewhere than as specified in i), at a level which is at least 300 m (1 000 ft) above the highest obstacle located within 8 km of the estimated position of the aircraft.

The Norwegian CAA has decided that:

§ 14.Til SERA.5005(c)
Flyging etter visuellflygeregler er tillatt om natten. Vilkår beskrevet i SERA.5005(c) skal følges. Dersom flysikten er minst 10 km og skydekkehøyden er minst 2000 fot, kan minstehøyder beskrevet i SERA 5005(c)(5) reduseres, men ikke lavere enn hva som fremgår av SERA.5005(f).

Now, 5005(f) is the usual VFR day minima.

The same regulations apply, but not the same rules Lots of variation is possible here. Norway has not set a minimum altitude for VFR flight, thus 5005(f) becomes the rule for VFR day. But also, since no minima has been set for VFR (in general), then the (5)(i) and (5)(ii) becomes valid for NVF. In Norway this becomes impossible due to terrain, and therefore LT authorized the use of 5005(f) for NVFR, but only when line of sight is 10+ km and ceiling is 2000+ feet. The variations here are literally endless.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Got a Night VFR permit as part of my IR. Have never flown VFR at night and never will.

EKRK, Denmark

Michael_J wrote:

Have never flown VFR at night and never will.

Do you fly IFR at night?

LeSving wrote:

The Norwegian CAA has decided that:
§ 14.Til SERA.5005(c)
Flyging etter visuellflygeregler er tillatt om natten. Vilkår beskrevet i SERA.5005(c) skal følges. Dersom flysikten er minst 10 km og skydekkehøyden er minst 2000 fot, kan minstehøyder beskrevet i SERA 5005(c)(5) reduseres, men ikke lavere enn hva som fremgår av SERA.5005(f).

That’s very sensible! I wish the Swedish CAA would do the same. The requirement to apply IFR minimum heights for night VFR is unreasonable IMO and in the case of Norway would be a very severe restriction. (I recall that you wrote that at some point.)

Now, 5005(f) is the usual VFR day minima.

5005(f) is the VFR minimum heights. Not “VFR minima”.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 16 Sep 11:42

Michael_J wrote:

Have never flown VFR at night and never will.

You mean SEP at night otherwise I am lost:
- Can can fly MEP VFR at night?
- Can you fly SEP IFR at night?
- Will you fly PC12/SF50 at night?

Unless there is a good reason (e.g. personal phobia, color vision restriction)

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Sep 11:55
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes you can fly MEP VFR at night.
Yes you can fly SEP IFR ar night.
France AFAIK has always allowed Night VFR.
The theory and QCM were always added at the end of the PPL textbook.
With JAR and EASA some of the national regulations changed a little.
However, possibly like @Michael_J wrote I became night qualified before starting my IR practical. Ii was a requirement. But as my instructors said " once you are Instrument rated you will probably never fly night vfr again. Why would you when you can fly IFR?"

France
Sign in to add your message