Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Painting my wings black

I’ve just had mine re-sprayed and wish I had gone for black. Looking at that all black aircraft I think it looks great. AFAIK there aren’t many all black aircraft. Bet it would be interesting (though not legal) to take off at night without any lights on.

Last Edited by PiperArcher at 17 Jan 19:35

How much did it cost you to get yours re-sprayed? What type do you have? Hope you don’t mind me asking. Because our Tomahawk definetely needs a new paint job!

I don’t worry about ice, as I fly VMC, although the wings are white. If flying your Pa38 in IMC, reliability of gyros will probably be more dangerous than ice.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

But one can see the ice buildup on the landing+taxi light cluster.

Maybe on yours but not on mine.

EGTK Oxford

369ST has been to Lelystad a couple of times. Clearly tastes differ as I think it is an ugly beast. I am also told that it is a conversion from a piston aircraft

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Yes – it is a Jetprop.

You start with the piston PA46 and rebuild the front end, and some of the avionics.

It is an excellent aircraft, hugely more capable than any piston aircraft, and arguably the first logical mission capability increment from pistons such as the SR22, TB20, etc.

Most people start with a used PA46, and a reasonable Jetprop will come to about $1M which is only about 1/3 more than the top end pistons are these days.

There are several Jetprop owners on EuroGA

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

At my airfield, there are several airplanes with the wing leading edge painted in black. I was always puzzled about this and asked each owner about it and got the following answers:

1) I don’t know, it was like that when I bought it.
2) The bugs are less visible that way
3) The paint wears off when scrubbing the edges to remove the bugs, this way it’s better protected
4) To see icing better (this was a VFR equipped C172 thus not very convincing)

Last Edited by achimha at 18 Jan 08:09

The thought that ice is more visible on black is a bit dangerous.
So long as the ice is porous, or “white” it does help, but I’ve been caught out by clear ice on more than a few occasions flying the Caravan. I could have sworn the wings were completely clean, but cycling the boots revealed a layer. It certainly helps over a white wing, but, just be cautious when you make general statements about ice, it’s not always the same.

Black with a rabbit on the tail sounds pretty cool….

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Its so you can get that dope $$$$ look of deice boots :)

Having looked at the examples in Peter’s link it must be the black paint which makes 369ST so ugly

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message