Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

White versus black painted wings

I am looking at different livery designs for my plane. I found white painted wings rather boring, and like black wings. For example, I like this design.

I am wondering whether dark painted wings (not dark painted cabins or fuselage top) has any disadvantage over white painted wings, or are there any reason why one would not want to choose a very dark color for the wings. Does the additional heat absorption during a hot summer raise any concerns? The plane above was flying in Arizona (not known for its overcast ceilings and cold climate).

United States

Fuel loss thread is perhaps one reason for using white. The fuel loss problem is bad enough already.

I posted this before but can’t find the thread. It is a plot of the fuel totaliser errors against a (mostly) known-good pump, versus time, and the obvious periodic variation is basically between summer and winter. Ignore the cluster at the beginning – that was due to this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mainly I believe it is heat absorption. A black (or really dark) surface can get REALLY hot on direct sunshine.
Underneath it you have fuel which will heat up during day time and chill during night.
Its a no brainer.

LGMG Megara, Greece

They painted these white:

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-f-35-cant-run-on-warm-gas-from-a-fuel-truck-that-sa-1668120726

“Clearly it is not tactical in any way to be driving a giant white potential fuel-bomb around a battle zone”

4 Posts
Sign in to add your message