Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The silent emergency - artifical horizon failure

A great article by a pilot some here will recognise.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t know. About one quarter of practical instrument flight training is about limited panel situations, same as the yearly checkride (or checkrides, if one has more than one class- or typerating to maintain). So every instrument rated pilot should be able to deal with that situation. And in modern aircraft this becomes less and less of an issue, as there are enough backup and monitoring systems. Especially In the case of a Pa46 or Jetprop as in this article, the cost of an electrically powered standby horizon will not add a substantial percentage to the price of the aircraft. And as he writes “Approximately two minutes after the false nose-low indication begins, ..” it means that scanning your instruments only every two minutes when flying on autopilot is sufficient to save you from trouble! That should be doable, shouln’t it?

Last Edited by what_next at 20 Dec 13:01
EDDS - Stuttgart

True, but the 2nd AI is normally mounted on the RHS, far off the pilot’s field of view. There should be a TC also in the field of view but many pilots (in the USA especially) are removing that, to make room.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

…but many pilots (in the USA especially) are removing that, to make room.

Which proves once again that stupidity kills

Last Edited by what_next at 20 Dec 13:15
EDDS - Stuttgart

Damn… i had one of those in my VERY FIRST IFR lesson 11 years ago. We took off into a 500 ft AGL overcast and one minute later the instructor took over yelling “i have it”. Vaccuum pump. I had no idea and simply flew the inoperative AI … without the instructor would have killed myself for sure.

My old one started tumbling randomly, so I got in the habit of looking at the turn coordinator more than the AI. I hope this puts at a better chance of catching any anomalies should it happen in real IFR at some point.

Yes, it will, and the more experience you have the quicker you’l see it. In my plane even if the AHRS system failed it would warn me because there is a second signal from the blind TC…and if the two don’t compare you get a warning. Also i try to include the mechanical backup AI into the scan …

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message