Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

100LL becoming increasingly scarce in the south of Sweden

Ibra wrote:

Having said that, a proper airport should have someone H24 or during opening time to fuel my aircraft with Avgas 100LL truck, who can take cash or normal credit card with extra commission and profit: he provides that service…

Hjelmco Tankdeal is with VISA/Mastercard payment if not mistaken.
So it’s H24 (Self service)

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

UdoR wrote:

When viewed from a local perspective of a specific airfield, the most consumption is done by the local aircraft based on the specific airfield. It’s like with boats. 99% of the fuel is used by the boats that are based at that port. So if you do not have any 100LL burner on that field, there’s nothing to gain with a 100LL fuel pump.

Of course there is a gain to have 100LL, it’s about service for the other pilots and make your airfield more attractive.
It’s not only about 100LL, it’s to offer a range of fuel types from UL 91/96, 100LL and Jet A1.

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

“100LL burning tourers” cannot be more than a percent at most of all fuel being used

Totally impossible, except at some specific location. Obviously if you have a strip with 5 planes all burning 91UL, then 100LL usage will be very low (zero actually)

Around Europe in general, it’s nothing like this.

It’s not only about 100LL, it’s to offer a range of fuel types from UL 91/96, 100LL and Jet A1.

For sure, but (many previous threads e.g. the cynical TOTAL 91UL debacle) an airfield can’t split it up too much because they then pay more for each one, plus they have to watch the storage life. In drums, “avgas” lasts for ever, but not in any form of vented tank. That is why TOTAL failed despite offering free bowsers!

An airfield makes roughly 30p / 30 cents per litre of avgas so this is a big revenue, and it is a big driver of fuel policy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We have a 3000 litre tank of 100LL. (To compare with our 10 000 litre tank of 91/96UL.) On the average about SEK 45000 (≈EUR 4300) is bound up (assuming a bulk price of SEK 30/litre). That’s not a vary large amount. If you sell about 2500 l/year like we do, adding SEK 2 (≈EUR 0:19) will cover the financial cost.

That’s what I expected, there will be a market to make it economically viable? 0.3€/L on 3€/L per year is 10% return (also it’s inflation hedged). Obviously, if demand is not there, then it’s dead

On JetA, I fail to see how this works for GA touring? I have flown DA40NG and DA42NG, JetA fuelling need lot of planning. Putting aside UK where JetA is sold differently to private operators, in EU, JetA is only sold on big international IFR airports and maybe exceptionally in few small airports with helimeds, parachuting or dimaond training schools…

When buying JetA one has to go into some unplesant GA *&£# corners (opening hours, handling, security, custom, hooking fee, duty-free parking, airliners, bizjets)

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Jun 20:05
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

In drums, “avgas” lasts for ever, but not in any form of vented tank

Although at least a year. It’s nothing like automotive gasoline that lasts a month or two.

Peter wrote:

For sure, but (many previous threads e.g. the cynical TOTAL 91UL debacle) an airfield can’t split it up too much because they then pay more for each one, plus they have to watch the storage life. In drums, “avgas” lasts for ever, but not in any form of vented tank. That is why TOTAL failed despite offering free bowsers!

An airfield makes roughly 30p / 30 cents per litre of avgas so this is a big revenue, and it is a big driver of fuel policy.

3000L Avgas 100LL isn’t that much…

Burning 40-45l/h = ~70h of flying.

That’s why I did consider “investing” in a 100LL Tank to have my own fuel and then resell some of it :-)

ESMS, ESML, Sweden
56 Posts
Sign in to add your message