Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

100LL becoming increasingly scarce in the south of Sweden

Very true Arne and we don’t have ATC or a 2.2km runway.

France

Arne wrote:

Nowadays when visitors ask us about 100LL, I send them to Eslöv. No need for BP/Total/Shell non-sense, just a god old Visa/MC. If one club can have enough stock rotation so their economics works, that’s good for everyone. It’s the hard truth.

Wasn’t Hjemco offering “FREE TANK” if you just arranged a place to put it?
And they also offered 100LL as an option, maybe you have to pay in advance for AVGAS?

Problem in Sweden is that Shell withdrawn from Swedish market.
Hjelmco is pushing for 91/96UL, even if they also offer 100LL.

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

With Arne’s leaded consumption level, I don’t see any other option but a few 100LL drums. 3000L is not much – a few Navajo’s-worth of refuelling…

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

With Arne’s leaded consumption level, I don’t see any other option but a few 100LL drums. 3000L is not much – a few Navajo’s-worth of refuelling…

The Mooney I’m hopefully closing on soon has 415 liter tanks :-)

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

Darkfixer wrote:

has 415 liter tanks

That is cool, that would give me slightly more than 20 hours endurance 🤣

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Darkfixer wrote:

Wasn’t Hjemco offering “FREE TANK” if you just arranged a place to put it?
And they also offered 100LL as an option,

They do. Our club offers both 100LL and 91/96UL with both tanks provided free of charge by Hjelmco. The yearly consumption of 100LL is about 2500 litres, while it is more than 20 times as much for 91/96UL. Hjelmco would probably not have given us the 100LL tank if it wasn’t for the amount of 91/96UL we buy from them.

At our airport we have two aerobatic aircraft that must use 100LL and they use about half of that fuel. The rest is used by visiting aircraft and some aircraft whose owners for whatever reason prefer 100LL even though 91/96UL would be perfectly fine for them.

maybe you have to pay in advance for AVGAS?

Hjelmco’s arrangement is that you buy from them in bulk and resell, so in that sense you have to pay in advance, but their invoicing terms are good. I don’t think that they sell from pump anywhere.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Even if Hjelmco offers a free tank, and assuming you have everything else in the form of authorizations in place (the Swedes can watch that one part from last year’s Motorflygskonferens), you still need to immobilize cash in the shape of stored fuel. The oil companies don’t fill up for free and invoice when you consume.

ESMK, Sweden

Arne wrote:

The oil companies don’t fill up for free and invoice when you consume.

My understanding Hjelmco does not deal with private pilots: they don’t sell at the pump?

Total and BP do it, they sell at the pump and directly to private pilots who are clients in their database (with credit line and fuel card…), they are available H24 with transparent pricing: I never paid more than the quoted price online !

Having said that, a proper airport should have someone H24 or during opening time to fuel my aircraft with Avgas 100LL truck, who can take cash or normal credit card with extra commission and profit: he provides that service…

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Jun 10:59
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

What is clearly evident in this thread is who exactly are the big consumers of fuel. Clearly the big consumers are the locals, and local consumption vs non-local consumption is of the order of what? 10-100:1 or something averaged over a year. Non-locals who “need” 100LL must be a lower ratio than 1:100, more in the order of 1:1000. The ratio for sure varies over the year, but to do investments to facilitate non locals who need 100LL with that ratio, certainly is not something anyone takes lightly. At most places it is not a viable solution, unless some free piggy back schemes can be used.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Arne wrote:

Even if Hjelmco offers a free tank, and assuming you have everything else in the form of authorizations in place (the Swedes can watch that one part from last year’s Motorflygskonferens),

For that reason it may not make sense to install a new tank – but we’re discussing removing tanks.

you still need to immobilize cash in the shape of stored fuel.

Sure. We have a 3000 litre tank of 100LL. (To compare with our 10 000 litre tank of 91/96UL.) On the average about SEK 45000 (≈EUR 4300) is bound up (assuming a bulk price of SEK 30/litre). That’s not a vary large amount. If you sell about 2500 l/year like we do, adding SEK 2 (≈EUR 0:19) will cover the financial cost.

The oil companies don’t fill up for free and invoice when you consume.

That’s what I wrote, didn’t I…?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message