Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR - how fast is fast enough to travel

It’s the Lycoming powered, late model XL DA40s (with Power Flow exhaust) that can easily do 145 knots.

In theory, a diesel powered one should also be able to do that at FL150.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

able

A DA40 equipped with the CD-155 is faster in FL150 (TAS-wise), around 150 knots at 80% power.

Germany

Here’s how my CD-135 was flying at 75%.

Last Edited by loco at 12 May 11:58
LPFR, Poland

172driver wrote:

Wait, what? DA40 140-150kts TAS? We have one in our club and it doesn’t get near these numbers.

Does it have Powerflow and fairings? I regularly get 145 kts TAS but have flown DA40s without Powerflow and/or fairings which therefore were 10-15 kts slower.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

wbardorf wrote:

Does it have Powerflow and fairings?

Fairings, yes, Powerflow, no. We have created ForeFlight performance profiles for our fleet and for planning purposes the cruise speed of our DA40 is 120kts @ 8000ft. That said, I don’t fly the DA40, as it’s perhaps the most uncomfortable airplane I’ve ever sat in. Talking to other club members though, the 120kts seem a bit on the low side, but they don’t achieve much more. YMMV.

Unfortunately FlySto doesn’t show it directly, you can calculate it and then average but it’s too much manual work.

Main Menu – Insights – Averages – Block Speed

(and I will see about getting GS added, too).

always learning
LO__, Austria

Two recent FlySto data points:

Bristell B23 Turbo

Diamond DA40NG

The B23T cabin and seats are a bit more comfortable in my experience. I heard newer Diamonds have better cushioning, however.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 12 May 18:38
always learning
LO__, Austria

Flyingfish wrote:

And yet I sometimes dream of a fixed gear STOL pressurized turboprop capable of 180 KTAS up high and still land anywhere…

Doesn’t the Kodiak fit the bill? not sure it’s pressurized, though.
If I were millionaire, (well, next life maybe :D), this aircraft would be very high on my dream list!

etn
EDQN, Germany

@etn, or the Cessna Caravan, as used by Dick Smith on more than one of his circumnavigation… Earthrounder Smith

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

@etn, or the Cessna Caravan, as used by Dick Smith on more than one of his circumnavigation… Earthrounder Smith

Cool, thanks for the link @Dan! Sure, with an airplane like this, one doesn’t need to look for a hotel room :D

etn
EDQN, Germany
Sign in to add your message