Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft the weekend of Feb 24 2024

RV14 wrote:

Well, 100LL at LIRJ last time I checked was 4,45, at LICG just over 4

Blimey, and I thought Avgas in Spain was expensive. First time I hear of prices over 4 euro. Getting into wine territory. Maybe not good wine, but still.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Getting into wine territory. Maybe not good wine, but still.

I remember one movie where guys were putting moonshine into car tank when ran out of fuel while trying to escape from the cops.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I once considered wine for my TKS anti-icing system. Red would be a bit of a mess, but white would do

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Emir wrote:

guys were putting moonshine into car tank

Mmmmh, that’s a real good one. Unfortunately my baby’s not approved for night flying.

For TKS Vodka would probably work pretty good…
The MD-80 series airliner had a propensity to have frost forming on top of the inner wings, and since that famous SAS double flame-out accident (+ a couple of similar cases on the Fokker F-100), no start-up/takeoff was allowed if any trace of frost/ice was present. There’s at least one known case when most of the bar trolleys strong liquor was emptied to get rid of the stuff, as no de-icing equipment was available on the field.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

There’s at least one known case when most of the bar trolleys strong liquor was emptied to get rid of the stuff, as no de-icing equipment was available on the field.

That’s a nice excuse! :)
“- Where’s all the booze?
- Well, we had to use as a de-icing fluid, sorry boss!”

EGTR

Dan wrote:

the bar trolleys strong liquor was emptied to get rid of the stuff, as no de-icing equipment was available on the field.

I heard the same from a BEA HS-121 pilot who once bought 100 bottles of duty-free vodka on the company account for this reason. Back in the ‘good old days’ when ATC strikes meant crossing France VFR at 5,000’.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Even though some of this may be tongue in cheek, it may be much nearer the truth than one might think.
On the television here the other night there was a report that sales of red wine have dramatically reduced and that many French wine makers are distilling wine to provide fuels for transport.☹

France

gallois wrote:

French wine makers are distilling wine to provide fuels for transport

It’s been happening with corn for decades in the US now …corn whiskey is not fashionable any more

It was only a matter of time (environmental/market pressure ? ) grapes would go that way…

Now the trend with corn is reversing slightly…is there hope for grapes?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Oh my… @Peter must be rolling his eyes to all of their stops by now, in despair of our non respect of the forum rules and major thread drifts… apologies Peter, and sheers

PS
Probable cause must be lack of flying activity = too much time available = thread drifts, Q.E.D.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Took (and passed !) the Class Rating for PA46 Turbines. After 1000h+ on the piston version, I had a bit of preparation for some of the aspects, but being completely new to the turbine world there was still a lot to learn, and that was fun ! I really liked the Mirage, but there’s no doubt the turbine is the right engine for this plane… Docile, great performance, quite simple systems, Piper did a lot of things right with this.

EGTF, LFTF
Sign in to add your message