Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A busy week ahead

11 Eurocontrol flight plans submitted for the next 5 days….

Four are intra-UK. I suspect they will be the least likely to work as planned.

EGTK Oxford

Hope you’ve got some good alternates.

A Tabby and 2 kittens couldn’t have got you into some places today. Weather in NW Europe has been deeply unpleasant the last few days with some unpleasant winds and heavy rain around. Plenty of Schipol diverts at Bremen yesterday for example, and even that was no picnic. I watched a DA42 make an approach and it looked bloody sporty indeed.

What sort of winds put you off?

London area

Depends from what direction they come. Will be a day of taking it as it comes and having plenty of fuel.

EGTK Oxford

Great to hear you are getting such excellent utility out of your Meridian.

You must be clocking up some hours by now, both personally and on the airframe.

Well done. :-)

E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

Well today was certainly exciting. 5 now done.

Was 2 precision approaches right to minima (and the Biggin ILS was fine although I was vectored). Followed by two with higher cloudbases but with the 20 knot gusty winds fortunately (almost) straight down the runway. Then Berlin was CAVOK after I did 363knots GS with 115knot winds at 270! Welcome to winter!!

EGTK Oxford

That was what I was getting at – our ops manuals have a max wind and max crosswinds for various runway condition (60kts and 30kts dry since you’re asking) so was wondering what limits you set yourself.

London area

Substantially less than that Josh. 30 straight and 20 cross would be max I would plan to deal with. Today was much lower than that but not comfortable for passengers at low levels.I do find often TAFs overstate wind in the UK.

EGTK Oxford

> Then Berlin was CAVOK after I did 363knots GS with 115knot winds at 270!

Yesterday morning, in the area of Nürnberg, we had 152kt of wind at FL230 (as usual the highest northbound level we can get at this hour). Luckily from the side (but still 70kt of headwind component) and the highest figure I remember having seen.

And scary ice buildup during climb with several centimeters on all (visible) non protected areas.

EDDS - Stuttgart

> And scary ice buildup during climb with several centimeters on all (visible) non protected areas.

Between which levels was it? I had a look at the chart and was wondering if I had a flight planned would I go. We are FIKI certified but rather slow in the climb so that we are exposed to the icing quite a moment.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian, leaving Berlin now. Will let you know where I see ice in 2 hours.

EGTK Oxford
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message