Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Instrument arrival to Shoreham EGKA without ATC?

A flying school based at an airfield where there is an RNP approach have been asked not to join. In a manner that can remotely be confused with the published RNP approach.

Apparently they have been told that it is being used inappropriately then its approval will be removed.

Personally I just join at a 6 mile final and use skydemon as it gives a lower minima

I can see the problem with a flying school using it. That would result in lots of traffic on it (flying schools will have lots of movements each hour) and makes a collision much more likely than the odd random visitor.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The loss of FTO IAP income is a big thing. This is why most airports charge for IAPs; if they didn’t they would get FTOs from far away fly there for the IAP and not land

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sure that makes sense when it’s under the control of ATC.

But when it’s not and parties are just ‘unofficially’ using it then I can understand why they would ask the school to stop.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Sure, but then the concept of Class G airspace is fundamentally incompatible with that – i.e. it’s not within the aerodrome’s power to restrict who flies which tracks in the sky.

In extremis, any A/G or AFISO unit can prevent entry into the ATZ simply by not returning the radio call. The Barton Interpretation saw to that.

EGLM & EGTN
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message