Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (10-11 November 2023)

I had booked a plane to fly from Buochs on Saturday, but cancelled due weather. It was a close call though, but the weather around the aerodrome was just not stable enough to fly away. The risk of getting stuck outside was too high.

Dan wrote:

Generally speaking, all fields in the Swiss-German parts of CHE use English, including my homebase. Strangely enough, fields located on the French part use mostly French, again, really strange…
Switzerland is predestinated for English-only. It’s just sad that our National Aeroclub does a lot of lobbying to keep local languages allowed. More or less only to please the French part, as the Italian part (and Rhaetian obviously) also manages to speak English. In theory, you could speak German in Birrfeld, but even most Swissgermans would probably not understand the German phraseology. It would cause a lot of chaos in the busy traffic circuit.
Last Edited by Frans at 12 Nov 11:28
Switzerland

Whats the joke the locals tell about the Swiss Romands (ie the french speakers)? (From my days of living in the hearty of Swiss Romand).

The Swiss Romand are 20% of the population, they demand 80% of the federal handouts, they deserve 10%, and settle for 50%.

Last Edited by Buckerfan at 12 Nov 11:34
Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Ok.
Once on the ground, do you all chat in english at the flying club, builder hangar, bar etc ???

LFOU, France

arj1 wrote:

And what to do with the light reflections inside the cockpit?

Tell your friend that you regularly see the Northern Lights while flying?!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

sad that our National Aeroclub does a lot of lobbying to keep local languages allowed

and the Swiss AOPA… but this has been discussed here already.

Once on the ground, do you all chat in english

Normally we don’t chat with each other, but sure go different ways
Seriously now, one of the main problem relating to language here, is the use of dialects. Whilst the French one might have learned (and forgotten long time ago…) is pretty similar to the the one which is spoken in the Romandie, the German the Romands learn is of no real use since the Swiss-German dialect is commonly used. Lesser know is that the Ticinese also have their own Italian dialect.
So yes, the whole is resolved by the use of English

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

2 non-LCP/non-cracked (or not visible at first glance…)

I’m sure you do know Dan, but others might not. Vans was selling laser cut parts for a long, long time. Engine baffles and other stuff. As I understand Vans will continue to use laser to manufacture those parts. All RV types from 7 onwards are therefore potentially “infected with” LCP, mine included.

As someone who has dimpled at least a few hundred laser cut rivet holes I would say that the cracks, at least the two cracks that I was able to spot using a microscope are certainly not visible at first glance. Did you check every dimple in your aircraft under a microscope? I certainly didn’t in my 14 and as the microscopic cracks became undetectable after a part is primed it’s too late to tell…

Poland

dublinpilot wrote:

arj1 wrote: And what to do with the light reflections inside the cockpit?

Tell your friend that you regularly see the Northern Lights while flying?!

?! That was the light reflected from inside the cockpit.

EGTR

Excellent @Buckerfan !
Going fun flying the day after a long touring flight is the way to go!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The weather in Northern Germany really didn‘t lend itself for going anywhere. Si, today I just decided to get the humidity out of the engine and a couple if instrument approches in. The weather was IFR, but not low IFR in EDHL, so that was perfect.

All anti-ice on for safety on the SID, although it wasn‘t necessary as I broke out just above 3000 feet.

Back down below the clouds in the ILS.

And a standard (procedural) RNP appraoch to finish off.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Nov 13:53
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That was the light reflected from inside the cockpit.

I understand that. But tell it with confidence and you might get them to believe

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message