Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (5 - 6 October 2023)

Saturday we flew Sherburn EGCJ to Le Touquet, refuelled, then LFAT to Carcassonne LFMK. After dinner in the Pyrenees we stayed overnight in our house there, then Sunday afternoon LFMK to Lydd, EGMD, then Lydd to Sherburn, arriving at sunset. A total of 9.3 hours airborne in my Twin Comanche.

Last Edited by Mark_B at 09 Oct 21:22
EGCJ, United Kingdom

There is a difference between ULM and airplanes in requirements.

Sure. As long as you remember that anything above 525kgs cannot count as an ultralight im France and is therefore subject to the „normal“ regulation for altiports/altisurfaces. And any two-POB WT9 with less the than 525kg MTOW will always be overweight and thus illegal anyway…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

We cancel IFR as much as possible, but not always possible in northern europe when Liners are landing in series of 3mn.
Returning to Cannes, we did it as soon as in French airspace.

In a CJ? May I ask why?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

In a CJ? May I ask why?

Because it’s a lot more fun a quicker in a lot of places ! I’m doing the same with the PC12 and the mustang I’m flying…

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

The empty weight of the WT9 ULM is around 300kg. So at MTOW for French ULM that gives a useful load of 225kg. So a pilot of 80kg and a passenger at 100kg still gives a fuel load for more than 2hrs of flying. Going from altiport to altiport you can get to quite a few on around 40 litres of SP95.

France

Because it’s a lot more fun a quicker in a lot of places ! I’m doing the same with the PC12 and the mustang I’m flying…

In CAT AOC ops?

always learning
LO__, Austria

The empty weight of the WT9 ULM is around 300kg

I guess a modern RG WT9 with all these bells and whistles is more like 400kg. Possibly even more.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

At that empty weight, 400kg, it would have to be registered as an LSA in France flown on a PPL with class medical and yes a mountain rating would be required to fly to the altiports.

France

Snoopy wrote:

In a CJ? May I ask why?

To gain time, reduce fuel cost, make passengers arrive earlier. I’m sure I can find some more reason :P.

Snoopy wrote:

In CAT AOC ops?

I’m in NCC but some CAT light jets does it sometimes. There’s only gains, as soon as conditions are met.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 10 Oct 12:15
LFMD, France

Sure, makes sense.
I’m familiar with visual approaches (CAT AOC), not so much canceling IFR, the latter I do when required under NCC flying to VFR airfields.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message