Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (5 - 6 October 2023)

Wasn’t pic for this one; would not dare because the CAA man would crucify me if I made a mistake

EGKK were amazingly helpful with the transit. Wanted a visual with an Airbus on short final first though.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Perfect wx around here today, as a matter of fact perfect for RC flying
H-P gave us a super display flying his 2.2m span Morane, which he built entirely himself, out of wood… power is a 4 stroke 60cc, and that machine sure scoots along nicely and very realistically.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I flew back home from LDSB leaving summer on Croatian seaside with sea temperature 24-25 degrees.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Taken from the “tower” at ENMO today First snow fall.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

And another one is the RNAV approach to Wiener Neustadt, that is only LNAV. That means that no “glideslope indicator” appeared in the display. We both didn’t catch it before the approach, so we did (in perfect VMC) what was expected (maintain the lateral indicator and your descend angle) but only afterwards found out the reason.

Which is no surprise given the chart only shows an LNAV minimum (contrary to LPV, LNAV/VNAV, LNAV usually found).

Not too long ago the authority rescinded the IFR procedures at both LOAV and LOAN. Reason given was repeated incompetence and dangerous situations caused by pilots. One of the conditions to get them back is this mandatory self briefing. https://www.austrocontrol.at/piloten/vor_dem_flug

always learning
LO__, Austria

EGKK were amazingly helpful with the transit. Wanted a visual with an Airbus on short final first though.

Nice shot. Taxied under that bridge (and ran over it to catch a flight home) many times.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Reason given was repeated incompetence and dangerous situations caused by pilots. One of the conditions to get them back is this mandatory self briefing. https://www.austrocontrol.at/piloten/vor_dem_flug

As I’m not sure whether this is directed towards me or a rather general comment: we had the self briefing done, on board (even in paper form) and meticulously prepared long before. We had the flight plan filed correctly according to the self-briefing, and checked every page, because we both anticipated that it might be a challenge. Still it caught us for a short moment not having the “glideslope” indicator. That information is not included in the else extremely detailed and lengthy self-briefing. I regard this to be more important than many of the other details given in the briefing. We proceeded correctly with the approach. But we were two on board and one of us very experienced. As @Caba pointed out there are other LNAV approaches that show the glideslope, it’s more complex than that.

Additionally, as LOAN is a prime destination for young pilots interested in buying a Diamond, the specific approach could catch more pilots.

I always have an open error culture, and I think it’s a good thing to post it here, because I can imagine that others could also be surprised by this. And as this information is not included in the self-briefing, you have to be quite on the spot to anticipate this if you’re not familiar with the quite specific approach.

Last Edited by UdoR at 08 Oct 09:06
Germany

The glideslope appearing on your PDF, other than in the case of an ILS approach is a fairly recent phenomena. It surely depends on the equipment you have on board and the database provider. IMO it has nothing to do with the airport and the IAPs it publishes. They LNAV +V and the VNAV, other than in the case of an LPV are extrapolations by the database/equipment provider from the information given on the RNP approach charts.

France

This is maybe the most impressive photo. A green line all around Czechia.

The weather on that day wasn’t that particularly good to make photos like we’re getting used to here since @Dan started the photo mission, so I won’t disturb this with low-res-low-quality-bad-weather-pics

Last Edited by UdoR at 08 Oct 09:24
Germany

One of the most famous accidents at LOAV, N413HP, lived in “my” hangar. He crashed on a circuit flown in solid IMC, which he flew prob99 for the benefit of Vienna radar, because he cancelled IFR a long way back so had to “look good”.

Nothing to do with a difficult IAP.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message