Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (2-3 September 2023)

I flew to Alderney EGJA in the face of some nice wx:

Metar
EGJA 030820Z 06014KT 0300 R08/0375 FG BKN001 BKN005 18/18 Q1026
TAF
EGJA 030758Z 0309/0318 07014KT 0400 FG BKN000
PROB40
TEMPO 0309/0315 4000 BR SCT002 BKN004
BECMG 0313/0315 9999 FEW002

Metar
EGJA 030850Z 07012KT 1200 R08/0800 VCFG BR BKN001 18/18 Q1026

Metar
EGJA 030920Z 07015KT 1500 BR FEW001 BKN002 18/18 Q1026

Metar
EGJA 030950Z 08014KT 2000 BR FEW001 BKN002 18/18 Q1025

Departed 1000Z.

Metar
EGJA 031050Z 06012KT 3000 BR SCT003 19/18 Q1025

Pics

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

maxbc wrote:

There is definitely a very new feeling when you land alone at another airport

Oooh exciting! Maybe not as much as the first solo, but it’s a real sense of achievement.
Well done

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Ahhhh, that Alpha holding point, long time no see

Congratulations.
Try to find another clu pilot to visit new fields while sharing costs once you get your license.

LFOU, France

maxbc wrote:

Not as cool as the others, but I had my first solo navigation

Congratulations. That is very cool. It only happens once in your career as a pilot and is a huge stepping stone. Keep going!

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

The first weekend of September is our club’s traditional fall short group tour, Friday through Sunday. Five planes, two from my club and 3 from neighbors, and nine pilots this year. The goal was to fly to Bonn-Hangelar EDKB, via Hildesheim EDVM, but the weather on Friday was not great and most planes VFR, so the first 4 planes went to Strausberg EDAY instead and spent the evening in Berlin.
I started only Saturday due to problems at work that needed dealing with. Saturday weather was a lot better.

Leaving Skåne

Same same in northern Germany

Well in Strausberg we (me and my copilot) rejoined the group. We all agreed Bonn was not reasonable due to weather en route and for the return trip the next day as well.

One fallback destination was the North Sea cost of Germany, and they had found a hotel in Büsum for all nine, something we had not managed in previous trips there. So a quick lunch at the Doppeldecker restaurant, flight plan in, and off we went to Heide-Büsum EDXB.
The hotel is called Bretterbude and is basically brand new, like much of the waterfront and the new dike, and right next to the lagoon.

We went for dinner and a couple of beers, there is plenty of places but they were quite packed, the place looks to be very popular.

In the morning we walked some more around the waterfront and all the way to the harbor’s opening, getting our 10.000 steps after much sitting the day before.

Indeed lots of people everywhere, and all the shops in the main street were open.

We left town slightly after noon. A quick lunch at the airport, and the various flight plans home started kicking in to their respective destinations.
Autorouter showed an area of delays <30’ in our area, we initially got a 22’ CTOT, that was shortened to 10, and finally to 5 minutes, no big deal.
The home leg was very quiet. We had some IMC time at FL90, but only in thin and very quiet non-convective layers, so I did not bother change altitude to go above or below. A little rain near the end washed off most of the flies on the wings so cleaning went really fast.
6h40 total flight time ESMK-EDAY-EDXB-ESMK.

Last Edited by Arne at 05 Sep 20:18
ESMK, Sweden

We actually made it to the 9 o clock news on national TV

To put some perspective on it. Avinor had an earlier version of the Velis Electro, LN-ELA. That one crashed in 2019. The airplane totaled, but pilot and passenger were more or less unhurt. The pilot was the CEO of Avinor, and old fighter pilot. But Avinor didn’t lose interest just like that. What happened was that NLF would operate the new aircraft, a certified version where the cooling problem was fixed. This aircraft is sponsored by Avinor together with SAS, Widerøe and some others. The purpose being to gain experience with electric aircraft in a more GA setting, and to let people try it (GA pilots and anyone who wants really). Nothing’s like first hand experience. This is LN-ELB

Avinor didn’t have any in-flight pictures and videos of the aircraft, and that’s where I came in. I flew along in formation with an Alphatrainer for a couple of flights with a photographer (one flight with the photographer, and one flight with the director of ENVA, who also took lots of pictures ). The plane had been flying the whole weekend, many came on board for a trip. On Monday, Avinor arranged a session with people from media as well as politicians. One of the media persons was from NRK (the national broadcasting). He made an interview with the pilot while flying. That’s what the video article is all about, and in between we can see videos taken by the Avinor photographer from the Alphatrainer.

I don’t know if you even can see this outside Norway (perhaps, perhaps not). The article can only be linked from NRK web site. But here it is. Chose “6. Test elfly” if the window opens from the start of the whole episode (or at 9:43). It’s a 2 minute article.

https://tv.nrk.no/se?v=NNFA21090423&t=583s

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It works in the UK
Nice landing at the end 😃

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message