Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (2-3 September 2023)

If it wasn’t already clear, people leave the flaps on their RVs down when parked to stop people stepping on them, regardless of placards. It’s a fairly common practice.

Silvaire wrote:

It’s a fairly common practice.

Absolutely. But soo indecent, and soo inconsiderate. @Aart pinned it right on: nonchalant. Ok, I shall say no more…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Tomorrow’s RC day…
Today was pretty busy. Early rise to a foggy Zurich LSZH, which cast serious doubts about my departure from base. Amazingly, fog was kept at bay, but not by much…

Base at 07:30lt

After take-off a westerly heading, and a fly-by at the UL field of Fournet, had me turn finals at Pontarlier LFSP for customs. Quick turnaround later crossed lake Geneva (aka Lausanne) watching my ex-colleagues tackle the visual 22 barely few hundred feet above.
A short while later entered the magical mountain environment of the Haute-Savoie, Savoie, and Haute-Alpes. Which made me once pondering about that MTN rating. Or not… nevertheless, beautiful landscape.

Approaching my final destination for the day, the Lake Serre-Poncon

Barcelonette Saint Pons, or LFMR… set in a fantastic region (been trekking, camping, etc, with wifey, and really enjoyed it all), the field has had a few incidents, and unfortunately accidents (discounting a hard landing off my e-scooter on the way to the field today). They have acted on it, and some very good advice has been published, also referenced by SD

Last Edited by Dan at 02 Sep 20:31
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

I’ve been there previously, but have to admit, still found it not difficult (for my able steed ), but rather surprising. The profile certainly deserves some studying for 1st timers…

The airfield and the lovely small city of Barcelonette in the background

Secured my YLL after landing, paid the still reasonable 7€ landing fee, then rode 15’ to the city for a lovely crèpe. Open market today, cheeses, wines, etc, etc.

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Having heard of a mini EuroGA meet at Gap-Tallard, I then set-off towards Annecy Meythet LFLP… lucky me, I had been informed of the relocation. Setting off thru the majestic scenery, I passed by the region of Mt. Dauphin

Annecy surprised me with barely some traffic (but for the zillion paragliders…) , in opposition to the Notams, on such a gorgeous day. Unfortunately the restaurant is closed for refurbishment…

It was not long before the wheels of the other EuroGA mini-meet participant greased the runway. No comment on the flaps… let it be, let it be…

Last Edited by Dan at 02 Sep 20:49
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

In the meantime, @eurogaguest1980 informed me of yet another EuroGA mini-meet at Bex LSGB. This little friendly grass strip would be only like 20’ flight time away, which ain’t good neither for the engine, nor for the soul. The horseshoe shape gave me a better route, easy.

Annecy city

Basically then flew South of the Monte Bianco, East of Aosta…

Famous peaks from FL145…

Cuddled the Matterhorn, and finally landed at Bex. Quite some traffic there, since they are holding a 50 years and open doors festive days for the week-end. Divers, gliders, aerobats, you name it.
Enjoyed the too short a time with @eurogaguest1980, these tartelette au citron being delicious

The final leg back to base, across even more mountains… a perfect day out!
I’m shot as I write these few words, but OTOH still trying to grasp how lucky and privileged I (we) am (are).

Last Edited by Dan at 02 Sep 22:10
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

I caught up with a world-famous pilot in LSGB yesterday. Cool event, and very fun runway! Electric “delta” in the background setting up for a demonstration.

Last Edited by eurogaguest1980 at 03 Sep 06:31
Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

That’s a well known problem. We see the same thing in Sweden with many people.

Yes, but this is actually the first time with a Brit. Usually people from other non English speaking countries, they know English, and therefore have less practical or social reason to learn yet another language. You can get by with English just fine in Scandinavia. Native English speakers tough, usually have no problem learning any Scandinavian language. According to some Americans I met, Norwegian is the easiest foreign language for them to learn. But when never given any opportunity to practice it, why bother. It could be just a matter of time before English becomes an official language here

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

A brace of IO-520s at Sandown

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Mont blanc enroute home from Annecy today.

6.5hrs done on the RV over the weekend, so it’s time for the first service. Tailwheel pivot is now a bit sticky but apparently this needs disassembly and greasing every 25hrs or so – mine has now done about 40, so fair enough. Tailwheel bearings are knackered and need replacing.

Then we’ll see if the oil is full of metal or not :)

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message